Turning off at the mains/messenger issues.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Soulstar, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Soulstar macrumors newbie

First and foremost, I apologise if this is in the wrong place.

I received my first Mac this morning and have had no problems with it, I'm enjoying learning a new OS. I have a couple of questions though and I'm hoping somebody will be kind enough to help. 1) I had a fire break out in my room a couple of years back and ever since I have turned my electronical devices off at the mains during the night, if I was to do this nightly with my mac, i.e. shut it down and then take the plugs out - would it do any harm?

2) I have downloaded Adium and then Messenger for Mac and both times tried to send a friend a link from imageshack, which I had always been able to do on my windows machine. I was just wondering what is the problem with sending links? Is this common?

Thanks to anyone that helps.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Welcome to Mac and MacRumors. :)

No.

No. What's the problem, exactly?

3. Soulstar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help, first and foremost.

I was sending my friend a picture of my desktop, talking about how much I loved the system and the link failed to send several times. Had the same problem on two different messengers and just presumed that you couldn't send links through messengers on a mac (however ignorant that might sound)

The link is here:
    http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9970/screenshot20100413at211.png

4. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

What happens exactly when you try and send the link? Does an error message appear, or does it just not show on the recipients computer?

Also, how are you sending the link? Are you copying and pasting from Safari's address bar or going through the option within Adium?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

6. Soulstar thread starter macrumors newbie

An error message comes up telling me that it can't be sent.

I've tried both ways, copying and pasting the link & doing it through the proper means on Adium.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

8. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

This may have nothing to do with it, and is really an uneducated guess, but maybe worth a try.

Go to File, highlight your account and click 'Edit Account', go to 'Privacy' and change the setting to 'Disable Chat Encryption' and try sending a link again.

As I said, its most likely not that, but its the only thing I can think of that I changed myself, might be worth a try?

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but I can't resist adding:
    You will in fact also save yourself a little bit of money as well--any electronic device that doesn't have a hard physical power switch uses some electricity even when off--generally in the 1-3W range, though I've seen as high as 13W on stuff in my house. Multiply that time 8-12 hours a day you're not using them and 365 days a year, and that adds up.

For example, five 2W devices might be 35kWh per year, about $5 where I live in the US. Depending on prices in your country and how many things you have/how inefficient they are, it could be quite a bit more.

My actual home theater power strip saves me about $20/year if it's off half the time.

10. Soulstar thread starter macrumors newbie

"Message may have not been sent because an unknown error occurred"

Just tried again by doing the encryption thing, but no change.