Turning off Edge on iPhone (1st gen)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Phatpat, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I have AT&T, but I don't want to pay for the iPhone data plan, nor do I need it. Is the best way to do this to jailbreak 1.1.4 and install Bossprefs, and turn off edge from there? That would be my only reason to jailbreak it.

I was just thinking now that 2.0 is out maybe there's an app that will do it without jailbreaking.

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You can do that and the only way to get an app to do so is to jailbreak it. There's nothing in 2.0 that does it as far as I know.

You can also add an additional letter to the end of your network settings but I can't find it in 1.1.4 now...

3. Knolly macrumors 6502a

You can call AT&T and turn off Edge data. I believe it's called WIX Blocking.

4. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Iphone without data plan=useless. Might as well just sell it and go with a razor.

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yea, because there aren't enough available wi-fi networks in the world...

6. rayward macrumors 65816

Not really true, especially now. It's easily the best music-playing cell phone. Easily the best video-playing cell phone. And with the on-board apps (no data connection required) it's a fabulous handheld computer and gaming device.

And, as pointed out above, there's always WiFi. Especially if you live in a city.

7. Phatpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Exactly. I want an iPod touch and a phone, but in one device. Simple enough.

I might just wait until the 2.0 jailbreak is released and go from there.

8. showtime macrumors 6502

It's not actually as useless as something like a blackberry without a data plan. The iphone can do anything everything it's suppose to do even when connected to wifi. Can't say the same for a blackberries. For some reason they need service books pushed to them from the providers in order for the internet to function properly.

9. DarkFlame macrumors regular

I just want to strangle people that say that iphones without data are useless. They're just trying to justify their extra and forced 720 dollar expense and a crappy 2 year contract by saying so. I go to college, work, and home and have wifi at every single location. I live in the city and 9/10 I can pick up free wireless if I need it pretty much anywhere.

I wish there were more free apps for 2.0, they should be coming soon.