Turning off iMessage for an appleID

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Rodimus Prime, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Ok here is the problem. My brother left iPhone to go to android but everyone who uses iPhone who tries to txt him it goes to iMessage and we can not figure out how to turn that off so it forces it back txt message when other iPhone uses try to message him.

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Did you happen to look under Settings>Messages? There's an option to turn off iMessage right in there.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

These people are (still) sending messages to his iCloud address (or Apple ID which may or may not be different). They need to change their contacts to send messages to his cell #, not his iCloud ID.

4. Rodimus Prime thread starter macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yeah I did that and according to my sister it is still showing up blue on her iPhone. I am hoping it just takes some time to filter threw Apple messaging system.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

iMessage has nothing to do with apple ID or iCloud ID...if you have a phone number thats registered it will go to that. I can get iMessages now to my Google Voice number...its pretty awesome!

6. Rodimus Prime thread starter macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

How do you go about changing the phone number set to the account and force anyone using his phone number other iPhones from going to his iMessage.

7. dotme macrumors 6502a

Take his old iPhone, remove the SIM, go to General > Erase All Content and Settings

If the iPhone is no longer in his/your posession, that's a big problem. There's another thread floating out there today about a guy who forgot to wipe his phone before handing it over to a buyer, with unpleasant consequences.

EDIT / If he ported his number, perhaps it will just take time to filter out from the carrier?