Turning off iTunes backup encryption

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dwfaust, Feb 24, 2017.

1. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

How can I turn off the encryption for iTunes backups? I don't care about the backups that are already encrypted backups... but I want to stop encrypting backups.

We have 3 iPads that the grandkids use when they come over, and to eliminate any fighting over who gets which iPad, I routinely backup one and restore the other 2 with that backup. Somewhere along the way, someone enabled encryption for the backups... strangely, I can still backup the device, but cannot restore the other iPads from that backup without the password.

My objective is to turn off encryption for the backups so that I can backup and restore as I used to do...

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

You do lose some information if the backup is not encrypted, but the loss may not matter you. Here is the information from Apple (see the iTunes section):
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

3. dwfaust thread starter macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I understand that stuff like health data, etc will be excluded... not an issue, as the iPads just have kids games on them, and the point of the backup/restore exercise is to sync content, so they all have the same games.

However, when I try to turn off encrypted backup, it asks for the password - which is the issue. Maybe I can just uninstall iTunes and then re-install it.

4. CoastalOR, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017

CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Sorry, I did not realize you did not have the password from your original post.

See this Apple Support document, check the "Turn off iTunes backup encryption" section towards the bottom:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205220

It sounds like you may need to:
    if you can not get the password or you do not want to switch to iCloud backup.