Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jodi82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Hi! :)

I've heard you're supposed to turn your iPhone off at least once daily. Something about it being good for it? Anyone know?

Thanks for your help.

Jodi82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Someone from the Apple customer service told my husband that. But, I've never read that anywhere, and he's deployed right now so I can't ask him exactly what he was told.

I got an iPhone recently, and was just curious if any of you have heard this.

nicheco

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2009
doesn't sounds wrong...

i don't reboot my phone except when it's being lame. BUT, i'd bet that if i would reboot it more often it wouldn't act so lame.

TexanMan05

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Some people recommend rebooting it at least once a week.. some even do it daily. I look at the iPhone like a mini-mac computer. You should reboot a computer at least once a week and I do the same with my iPhone. :apple:

Obviously this is just an opinion. I don't have any proof that this is necessary.

Dre325

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
I've had minor issues with my phone that have been completely solved by simply turning it off and back on again. Crashing issues mainly with Safari or apps. I don't find it necessary to restart it every day to keep those issues from happening, but I think once a week would be a good practice. That's what has worked for me at least.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
I would imagine it is like a computer (COUGHWINDOWSCOUGH).

I reboot a day keeps the IT Department away.

But my rule is simple. If the battery is less than half, it says on and gets charged.

If the battery is more than half, I turn it off over night and back on in the morning.

Haven't had any battery related issues and the phone runs good for me.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I reset my phone if I notice it getting really slow or if programs start crashing more often.

That probably happens every other week, but that's the only time I do it.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I turn my phone off at night it drains battery if it's one and sadly I'm not that important so nobody calls me at night.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Some people recommend rebooting it at least once a week.. some even do it daily. I look at the iPhone like a mini-mac computer. You should reboot a computer at least once a week and I do the same with my iPhone. :apple:

Obviously this is just an opinion. I don't have any proof that this is necessary.

I agree.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
with all of my phones (prior to the iPhone) at&t recommended me to turn on and off very often - daily if possible.

i got very bad signal with my last phone here, but when i started turning it on and off - it started getting full bars in my house. which was a big plus.

it just sucks because ever since i JB'd my iPhone - it takes (and i timed it today) - 1 minute and 8 seconds to boot up :(

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Hi! :)

I've heard you're supposed to turn your iPhone off at least once daily. Something about it being good for it? Anyone know?

Thanks for your help.

About 5 years ago my RAZR didn't change to daylight savings time and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. I drop by the AT&T store and the lady turned it off and back on. It fixed the problem. She said always turn your phone off once a day. I don"t know about the iphone but I can't see how it would hurt anything.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Can be useful to do. Simple power cycling can solve many quirks, even on Apple hardware hehe.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I never really turn off my phone on any sort of schedule.

Every once in a while I'll give her a quick reboot; but never nightly.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

TexanMan05 said:

Funny, I reboot my iMac about once a month - basically whenever there's an update that requires it. My iPhone, I reboot at least once a day.

Jeremy81

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Oklahoma
Mine has been going for 25 days(according to iStat) without restart, power off, or crash and it still works fine. I've had AT&T techs suggest you should power off your phone for at least 15 minutes each day so you can get re-registered on the network.

phiberglass

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
I never turn my phone off, but every once in a while I'll do a restart just to get a clean slate or free memory with with istat a few times a day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.