Turning off Safari Rollover URLs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ozman712, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Ozman712 macrumors member

Is there any way in Safari to turn off the feature that pops up the URL when rolling over a link? This has become quite and annoyance for me and I would really like to turn it off.

Oz

2. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

3. Greencardman macrumors 6502

I'm wondering how to turn it on! Ha, this is great. Actually, having a rollover would be very annoying. But I just switched to Safari 3.1 on Windows from IE 7, and I find I miss knowing what the URL will be before you click on it. In IE 7, it appeared in the bottom left side of the browser. It helps to be suspicious of where links might be taking you, IMO.

4. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Try
    View -> Show Status Bar
    It'll turn on the bar at the bottom of the window, if you mouse over a link it'll display the URL

As to the OP, i've only seen this happen on particular sites where it's part of the sites software that does it :)

5. Greencardman macrumors 6502

Thanks, that worked great. Not sure what to do about rollovers. I don't get them, so it's not the status bar that turns them on.

6. Ozman712 thread starter macrumors member

Screenshot

To avoid confusion this is what I want to turn off.

Attached Files:

7. Greencardman macrumors 6502

I think that's alt image text. I don't get the link like you do when I roll over an image, I just get the name (For example, when I rollover the image you posted I see the text "Mac Forums"). Not sure how to turn it off, or turn it into just the name. What platform are you on?

8. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I dont think you can, atleast not without modifying WebKit. Its to do with the alt text for the image, which is required for the document to be valid.

9. Greencardman macrumors 6502

Is there a way to turn off the URL appearing and only have the alt-text appear? I wonder why the OP sees the whole URL and I only see "Mac Forums"

10. Ozman712 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for the info. If someone does know any way to turn it off I'm still open to suggestions.

Oz

11. derbbre macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I just tried it and I get mac forums, not the entire url. But anyway, during html classes, thats alt image text or something, its not a url rollover. thats normal and shouldnt bug you unless you keep the cursoe stationary for a few seconds.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To turn off Safari tooltips that show URL of links:
    in Terminal, type:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitShowsURLsInToolTips 0 (1 to turn on)​

14. sherwood6handcp macrumors newbie

I had the same problem.

Download the Onyx tool - freeware, and under the Safari icon, there is a checkbox to disable the display of the URL's.

Tried it and it worked like a champ!

15. pendolino macrumors member

pendolino

thanks a million. this worked beautifully in safari 4 running on snow leopard. so relaxing.