Turning off the fake sound for trackpad click?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SamR123, May 9, 2015.

1. SamR123 macrumors member

SamR123

Is it possible to disable the sound the trackpad makes when 'clicking' on it? I'm sure it helps build the illusion that the thing is really clicking but it still kinda annoys me.

2. alee macrumors 6502

It's not a speaker sound. It's a mechanical sound. You're hearing the magnets under the pad work.

3. SamR123 thread starter macrumors member

SamR123

I see, it sounds really 'real'! Haha. O well, I'm sure I'll get used to it or revert back to just using tap to click like I did before. Thank you very much.

4. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

You can't disable it, but you can decrease the sound of it significantly by going to System Prefs -> Trackpad -> slide the "Click" slider to "Light" (see screenshot attachment below)

Attached Files:

5. SamR123 thread starter macrumors member

SamR123

I do like the feel so I'm thinking I'm just going to have to get used to the sound. The speakers sure are loud enough to mask the sound too, Spotify here I come!

6. Dayv macrumors 6502

Actually, you can disable it with the bottom option in the trackpad pane shown above: deselect "force click and haptic feedback". However, this will also disable its sensitivity to multiple levels of pressure.

I agree that "get used to it" is probably the best plan.

7. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Sorry for going OT, but all of this talk of fake sound reminded me of the old video game Q*bert. Anyone remember the physical clunk sound made when your little guy would fall off of the pyramid? :)

8. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Haha. I loved that game.

9. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

This thing boggles my mind!

Got mine last night and couldn't believe it wasn't a 'real' click or movement and just feedback.

Crazy....