Turning off the LED

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacAodh, Dec 31, 2007.

1. MacAodh macrumors regular

Hi,
    I've a younger brother who constantly "borrows" my stuff. I have used my mac to catch him in the act several times but he's copped on to the green light beside it. Is there anyway i can turn it off when using the isight?

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

All I've found on the issue is an NSA document documenting how to remove support for the camera completely...

I would have assumed things like Undercover would try to disable the green light :confused:

3. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

The green LED is hardwired in. So the only way you can turn it off is to open up your Mac and disconnect the LED.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Did you use any of these?

Mira (unlimited trial)
    twistedmelon.com/mira/

EvoCam (15 day trial)
    evological.com/evocam.html

Not sure if they hide the light though.

5. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

You could also use iAlertU which would most likely stop him from messing with your Mac as it will make an alarm go off if anyone touches your keyboard or mouse, moves your Mac, closes the lid, or unplugs it.

6. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Small piece of black electrical tape would work.

7. blackstone macrumors regular

You could also just set up your computer to require a valid password when coming back from the screen saver and sleep mode. Then he wouldn't be able to access anything without some serious effort!

Edit: Wait, are you talking about borrowing the Mac or catching him borrowing other stuff while the Mac is on? If it's the former, then my suggestion stands. If it's the latter, then isn't the iSight's green light a good deterrent?

8. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

toothpick (or other small instrument for applying) + shoe polish

Wipes off and comes off easily (basically harmless), but is usually nice and thick enough to cover the glow.