Turning off the NVIDIA chip???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxorific1, Jul 4, 2012.

1. maxorific1 macrumors newbie

Hey, so automatic graphics switching is on, but it looks like my retina macbook pro just won't go back to the intel chip, and the only thing open is safari. what is up with this? I was playing Diablo 3 earlier, but you would think that it would switch back since i'm only doing light web browsing on safari...

2. PAPO macrumors 6502

how can you tell what gfx chip your using? I'd recommend "gfx card status" it can show you what chip you are using and allow you to swap it and lock it as you please

BUT I'm not sure if it works on the new 2012 models yet

3. andothfc macrumors regular

gfxcardstatus has been updated for all the latest MacBook Pros.

4. BlackbookGuy macrumors regular

Yes that app was updated last week.

You can check which card is in use by looking at about my Mac or looking at the menu in gfxCardStatus, and there are other ways as well.

5. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Works no problem on the new 2012s. Very handy app. This is my first MBP coming from iMacs and finding this handy app has been great for that.

6. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

That's one nice app. Definitely gonna start using it.

7. Aksta macrumors regular

r u using an external monitor?

won't let you use the integrated graphics when connected to an external monitor.

8. MercilessGunner macrumors newbie

Is something like this available for Windows in boot camp?

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Highly recommended, offers true granular control and most importantly you can see the dependancies of which app is triggering the discrete GPU. On my Late 2011 15" 2.4 i7 I opt for integrated only on battery and dynamic switching on mains supply. Apples solution is pretty much all or nothing.

Not only is there a significant impact on battery life, restricting the discrete GPU has a significant impact on thermals. Many apps call for the discrete GPU, yet they will easily run on the integrated processor. Only cavet is some apps do not care for the GPU to be switched mid stream rendering them unresponsive.

10. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I have found certain websites trigger the GFX to kick in as well. Xbox.com for example using Silverlight kicks it in for me. But as soon as I navigate away from the site it switches right back.

11. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

I have found that forcing the integrated graphics causes some display problems after waking from sleep. Anyone else noticed this?

12. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Nope, apple completely disable access to the intel gpu in 'bootcamp'.

13. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

14. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

gfxcardstatus has added hours to my battery life.

15. maxorific1 thread starter macrumors newbie

yah I was using about my mac... it switched after a while though.. it just took a long time after quitting Diablo 3

16. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, could apps such as gfxstatus be dangerous to the running of one's computer? It seems to be able to access specific hardware components from a software level (in a way that never seemed to be intended).

I'm not accusing this app's developer specifically, but if one's given this much power over the hardware, couldn't they exploit it for much more nefarious means? Or is there a legitimate way OSX gives you to switch your graphics card status (no matter how complicated), and is this app not an exploit after all?

Not trying to be paranoid, but I'm just curious as to how this app works.

17. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

You are being paranoid.

18. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Thanks for worrying about my mental health, but I'm personally more interested in his a user-level application somehow has permission to reach into my hardware and start modifying components as it pleases.

For some people, "It Just Works." is not sufficient.

19. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

No, because gfxCardStatus uses existing code.

gfxCardStatus uses only official and documented frameworks, such as:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework

gfxCardStatus is open source and based on a MacRumors code project:
    Source code:
    http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

20. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

An application like iTunes, which reads (& decodes) and writes (& encodes) MP3 files has also access to your HDD/SSD (a hardware component). Dangerous, i know. Be careful! Do not use iTunes!

;-)

21. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Those are sectors of the computer that x86 architecture normally deals with - graphics cards are rarely something that a computer needs to deal with on a daily basis.

But thanks for the link. I was hoping I could get a copy of the source code. :)

22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

If this app forced you to install a custom driver, then perhaps you would have something to worry about, as a driver can give you pretty low level access to the hardware. But since this doesn't require anything of the sort, I wouldn't worry.