Turning off the touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by GoinDownSlow, Sep 17, 2007.

1. GoinDownSlow macrumors newbie

Stupid question: the touch owner's manual and Apple feature guide say that in order to turn off the touch, you hold the "home" button for a couple of seconds. Is this true? In practice, the only thing I've been able to get to work is by holding the sleep/wake button for a couple of seconds, and then I get the "slide to power off" screen.

I assume that sliding actually powers off the touch. It's just odd, because it seems like when I come back to the touch after turning it off this way, the battery is lower than I left it.

2. Mtirv macrumors member

You can force quit apps by holding down the home button, but you have to hold the sleep button to turn it off.

3. Stopsignguy macrumors member

Holding the home button, quits the current active program or application.

The instruction manual says to "press and hold the on/off button to turn on or off ipod touch"; I'm assuming they know about the slider part but feel that it is pretty obvious what the next step would be to do.

4. GoinDownSlow thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, you're right. Funny how the mind can play tricks on you. I thought for sure it said "press and hold the home button..."

Indeed :) The reason I ask is because it seemed like the battery was lower than when I left it, so I thought maybe I was turning it off wrong or something and it was still in a low-power state.

5. Merser macrumors member

Merser

You are not crazy, this is happening to me as well...

Last night I made sure my iPod touch had a full charge, then I shut it off they way you normally would. (Hold the sleep button till the shut down slide comes on etc...)

I did not even turn it on ONCE until this evening. Upon turning it on, I noticed that the battery was empty... I mean in the red empty... How could this be??

Anyone else having this issue??

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The video tour shows holding the sleep/wake button and then, moving the slider to power off. I suppose the user manual is still in beta. Maybe, it'll be updated on the 28th.

7. Corsairkid macrumors member

hmm thats not good. I hope this gets fixed.

8. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

the ipod betteries have never been acurate, this may not mean that you actually have a low battery..

9. Matteh117 macrumors regular

IIRC they never actually turn off, causing the battery to drain when you think it is.

10. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Yes. I'm getting the same thing. Will do a hard power-off at work, then turn it on 8 hours later. The battery is noticeably lower when I turn it back on - not like 25% less, but maybe 10% or so.

This has happened a few days in a row now. The other day, powered-off with at least a 50% charge, and got a "low battery" warning when I turned back on. (But then, it seemed to rise, and gave me about an hour of video out of it before warning me again).

This is either:

-a software problem with the gauge;
    -a bad battery in my Week 37 model;
    -a problem with booting up taking too much power.

Folks, try comparing sleeping vs. fully turning off for a long period, and seeing how much power remains after each.

11. triela macrumors member

Exactly the same for my Week 37. Not reproducible on Week 38 as of yet.