Turning on Mac from display...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JesterJJZ, Sep 16, 2007.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I loved how in the old ACDs you could turn the computer on from the monitor. What's the actual reason that this isn't possible with the new displays? I know there was the move from ACD connection to standard DVI, but I thought that ACD was just a proprietary form of DVI. Any chance Apple could bring with feature back somehow on future models? Can it be done through USB or firewire?

2. Tracer macrumors 6502

Certainly was a feature that I miss.

DVI carries Video-only so it would have to be done through USB or Firewire.

I hated it when they ripped the Power Buttons off of the keyboards (G4 Era).

Tracer

3. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

ACD = Apple Cinema Display
    ADC = Apple Display Connector (what you want)

ADC was a proprietary standard that took DVI, USB, and Power, and put them all together.

Problem was ADC was proprietary and those without an ADC connector on their PC needed an adapter to use it. As well you could only have 1 ADC connector likely since it requires power to power the monitor. Power for the video card and power for the monitor would require the video card slot to use quite a bit of power. As well ADC didn't support higher resolution monitors like Dual-link DVI does, so Apple went DVI and Dual-link DVI.

4. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I'm almost positive that there is an option for my 30"ACD power button to turn my Mac pro on and off. When I was setting it up, i saw that and thought, what a neat feature.

5. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

So is CAN be done with usb?

6. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

No. It was possible at one time through a USB switch, but on older Power Mac G4s/G5s and Mac Pros it's not available.

http://www.welovemacs.com/usb-key-bt.html

7. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

I think, if I recall, that that option just allows you to select if the power switch on the display turns off the computer as well as the display, I don't think that option lets you turn on the computer from the display. I'd have to check, I saw the same thing. Either that or it's just the brightness controls of the display.

8. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Why did they not incorporate this into newer macs? :confused:

9. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Because it doesn't work in newer Macs, my guess is Apple made a Motherboard or Power board change to make Macs more standard to our PC neighbors and had to take it off. Now that we're on Intel, we'll probably never see it as we're basically using PCs.

10. smee macrumors member

smee

So apple took that feature out because of the PC users? :eek:

Just because they (PC'ers) can't have it doesn't mean we have to make it fair and take the feature out! Come on :apple:!
    Life's Not Fair.

11. reflex macrumors 6502a

One possible explanation is that it would simply take too much power for the computer's power supply to handle.

PC's used to have a power connector for the screen too, but that was removed because screens and computers need more power these days.