turning on Mac Pro with side cover removed?...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fat binary, Sep 1, 2009.

1. fat binary macrumors newbie

Hi,

Is it safe to start-up a Mac Pro with the side cover removed? (I mean, apart from the obvious not touching any parts while it's running!) Or won't it start at all if it "detects" that the cover has been removed?

My Mac is making this weird noise, and I wanted to have a look to see if there are any cables or screws that are not in place.

Thanks.

2. maghemi macrumors 6502

There is nothing to stop you from starting your machine with the cover off.

3. fat binary thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks maghemi, I just did it and noticed that the disk in bay 2 was approx. 1/2 millimeter from being pushed in all the way.

Noise is gone.

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

I have a friend who runs his G5 Quad with the cover off all the time, like you found, there is no problem with it.

5. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Well, I wouldn't do that all the time.
    The Mac Pro and Power Macs have thermal zones which won't
    work as well as with the side panel closed and locked. The air flow
    just doesn't work as intended.

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The Quad has a clear plastic cover which sustains the airflow even without the metal cover.
    The MacPro doesn't have such a cover so you should really close it when you're done.

7. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Here's an interesting tidbit...

Hi there,

I have a 2006 Mac Pro, and when I first got it, I noticed this annoying and rather loud hum that would come and go. Turns out it was drive sleds and various parts that weren't firmly seated in place that allowed the hard disks' vibration to permeate through the case. It created a resonance effect, in essence.

Solution? Two: first, take some self-adhesive foam padding and apply some to the door like this. Second, and this sounds a little arcane but it works: turn the Pro over on its left side until it's 1-1.5 inches off the floor, then let it drop! Anything that needs to be firmly seated on the motherboard will settle in place. Obviously be careful here - carpeted floor would be better.

But you CAN run it with the cover off, it's safe. Just not ideal, as the airflow is designed to cool most efficiently with the cover on.

Hope that helps,

JP

8. flatfoot macrumors 65816

You are not seriously suggesting this, are you?
    How about "firmly seating anything that needs to be firmly seated" by hand instead of risking damage to your Mac Pro?

9. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Why yes, yes I am.

You'd be surprised what can rattle in that enclosure - anything with a rotating mass can cause a resonance (power supply, rear fan assembly, front fan assembly, DVD enclosure, any SATA carrier or drive, etc.) - you can't expect someone to completely disassemble every part and reseat it.

I'm only talking about an inch off the floor, it's not going to hurt it. It shouldn't be running of course. I've done this a few times to my 1,1 and it's solid as a rock.

JP

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

I think I would make sure that the "pile-driver" technique should only be attempted on a carpet. I don't know that using a hard-surfaced floor is going to be good at all - even at only an inch. I can see your logic that an inch wouldn't hurt anything.... but I'm not going to try it. Luckily my MP is quiet. :)

11. Shownarou macrumors regular

There really aren't that many parts to just take the time to just push down and make sure things are seated properly...this just sounds like laziness..

12. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

Dynamat to the rescue

I found that 1 piece of Dynamat, applied to the side cover, solved my resonance problem. I first confirmed that it was the side cover that was resonating by removing the cover while the Mac Pro was running. I measured the case to determine where to place the Dynamat - I wanted the material to fit in the area between the drive sleds and the processor trays. I applied the Dynamat, replaced the cover, and voila - no more noise. :cool:

13. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

In the future, this stuff is better than Dynamat and cheaper:

http://www.secondskinaudio.com

Frankly, I think the MP should come with something like that and a sheet of foam on the side panel to begin with. Helps a lot with muffling fan noise.