"turning on wi-fi will improve location accuracy"

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by stooovie, Aug 28, 2013.

1. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

And if you do have it on what would happen? A lot of people have it on all the time, even when in places where there's no Wi-Fi, and it really doesn't change anything noticeable for them. Perhaps making sure to disable the auto discovery of available networks thst is one of the only things that could create some hassle and that is usually recommended to be disabled. Might be with seeing if there's an actual difference in practice.

----------

Interesting. But certainly if that makes a difference for you then that would make sense for you (or someone that might see a difference like that). It's a little odd that it does make a difference like that, but I certainly can't deny that there might be some different experiences that people have for one reasons or another.

For the most part it shouldn't be something that would make a difference like that. And based on use of it with a number of different iOS devices over the years it hasn't really made a difference. Having come across various articles about it and various threads over the years mostly the same kinds of conclusions are drawn in them as well. But, again, it's the personal experience that matters, and if there's actual difference that's actually noticed with it for some reason, then it can definitely make sense.

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I keep wi-fi on all the time--except--when I am out on my patio where reception is spotty--good enough to pick up the signal but not good enough to be usable--and that little pop up is annoying.

3. uhaas macrumors 6502

uhaas

My ISP is down today, so if I have WiFi on, my Internet is out.

This popup is annoying as hell.

4. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Keeping WiFi on all the time will add to battery drain as your IPhone keeps searching for a WiFi network especially if you have 'Ask to join networks' enabled in settings

5. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Sorry for asking, but here in Germany many providers and areas don't offer LTE yet, so my home & my work WiFis are faster (btw, with the right receiver home can do up to 100mbps), and public city WiFi is being planned but not even close to availability yet. Also WiFi is way less popular over here at the moment - didn't know about problems in America (public/hackable WiFi, expiring login times, too many WiFi networks, etc)

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

If you disable that ask to join setting, is it really documented somewhere that simply keeping wifi on will drain the battery in a noticeable fashion at least in most cases? I've been seeing more information to the contrary over the past few years, not counting some somewhat more isolated/individual cases perhaps.

7. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Test it out for yourself and you'll see

8. C DM, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013

C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

I have of course, on multiple iOS devices over the years. Part of the reason why I keep on wondering about this. I can't say I've seen any noticeable effect on battery life one way or another. Sure a few percent here or there at times, but that's no more than usual occasional difference between different days and slightly different usage and signal strengths during those days (with the same settings on the devices).

9. fs454 macrumors 68000

I really think this is still a cell carrier lobby just like the 20/50mb limit on app downloads over cellular.

AT&T in particular wants your wifi on all the time so that they can auto-dump you off the cell network and onto the their wifi hotspots whenever possible. This functionality is there, AT&T iPhones auto-connect to AT&T hotspots if one is in range always. I have a feeling they've got some leverage for making the user want to keep the switch on as much as possible.

I really don't think I've ever had a problem finding my exact location and using any location-based app (be it a navigation app or just Instagram) with wifi off, it's a thing of the past.

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Wifi keep searching for a network HAS a noticeable effect on battery life.
    We are not speaking about hours, but minutes make a difference for me, fighting hard to reach the end of the day with my iPhone.

Btw maybe this advice is based on the "Wifi networking" option in Localization setting ....
    Did someone try to switch it off and check if the message still appear ?

11. j4zb4 macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

My home internet connection is wonky... Sometimes it'll be superfast sometimes superslow... So when it is super slow I prefer to turn it off and use my 3g network... Now don't ask me to get up from my bed and go turn off the router... Because there are other people in my home using that network too... :p

12. shandyman Suspended

I've had an iPhone since they first came our and this has always been the case for me. It's a huge difference for me as I work long days and unable to charge my phone whilst at work. I know many others that encounter the same issue in my circle of friends.

13. LV426 macrumors 6502a

It's not a waste if you want the benefits of of assisted GPS (which WiFi sources provide)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

I don't bother turning WiFi off when I'm out and about, for exactly this reason. Any drain that it has is marginal at worst.

14. shandyman Suspended

Nice to see you actually read my posts before dismissing my point. 10% is not marginal when it's the difference between my phone lasting til I get home each day.

15. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Any radio that is running is going to draw more power. However slight, some may notice, some may not.

I just leave wifi off unless I'm intentionally using it.

16. LV426 macrumors 6502a

I did read your post. In which you boldly asserted that leaving WiFi on is a waste of battery. Such statements cannot go uncorrected, when for most people it is no such waste at all.

Do you have real evidence that just having WiFi on will nobble 10% of your phone's charge? Or is it just a gut feeling? My phone has been on all day in a no-cell spot with WiFi enabled and - actually - in use, rather than just listening for router signals, and my evidence is rather different to yours.

17. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

18. Fission macrumors regular

Apple + wifi is extremely annoying...My data speeds are better than my wifi and my data plan is unlimited. I'm sure going to use my data, so why does Apple have this fixation on wifi still? Seems so, 2007.

19. shandyman Suspended

Well I have real world comparison of a week of wifi on, then a week of wifi off, that's where 10% comes from.

20. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Turning off WiFi will improve battery life to a very small degree as your IPhone is constantly searching for a WiFi network. However the battery savings is very small and it may be more advantageous to leave it on whether or not it improves 'location accuracy' is another story.

21. Rygaard macrumors member

Rygaard

Many reasons
    1) drain battery that it try to connect so why have it on ?
    2) my 4G is faster than my WIFI many places
    3) my WiFi at work wont let me connect to alot of stuff.. but need it for work, so cant forget the network
    4) Because i want to as the owner of the phone !
    5) tell me how Wifi turned on helps to improve determine my location in the middle of no were ... you know the place were i need a map.

EVERY time i use maps, Facebook, take picture i get this Dialog "please turn on WiFi to improve accuracy" - I got the point the first time, perhaps I as a user, the owner of the phone have the right and the wisdom+insight to know when i want Wifi turned on - and perhaps i got the point first time - also maps.. how often do you have Wifi when you need a map... just asking

22. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I turn off wifi everyday. Everyday I get that stupid message.

23. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

To be fair, while there certainly can be various reasons someone could have to turn it off, battery drain shouldn't be one of those as for the vast majority (unless there's something wrong or strange going on basically) there won't be any noticeable effect on the battery one way or another.

24. shandyman Suspended

I've always had 20% less battery by the time I finish work with wifi left on, than off. Think that's noticeable!! That's been the way with all iPhones I've had.

25. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

That's why I mentioned the "vast majority", as with anything there will be exceptions for one reason or another, but they are the exceptions, not the rule, so to say.