Turning the Dock off

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Invizzible, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

Does anyone know if there's a way to turn the dock off, so I can have it hidden and not pop up when my mouse arrow gets near it? When I run Pro Tools and have the edit window filling my entire left monitor, I have the dock hidden but everytime my mouse arrow gets near the edge of the screen the dock pops up and interferes with what I'm doing. Would be great to be able to turn it off for my session.

2. JudgeDanny macrumors regular

just wondering, would moving the dock to the left or right do any good?

3. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I just ran the preference file through the Property list and there is not hidden option to stop the dock from popping up automatically.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In your particular situation the easiest option is probably to keep the dock visible (ie. without auto-hide) and then make your Pro Tools window a few pixels smaller. You won't lose much but you won't be distracted by a pop-up dock.

5. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

There is a hack that you can do in terminal that will get rid of the dock by moving its file, but if I remember correctly it also causes you to lose Dashboard and all your widgets. That is, until you move the dock file back to its proper location

6. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses everyone. Moving the dock to a different edge doesn't do any good, because in Pro Tools I'm constantly moving the mouse all over the place, to all edges of the screen. And reducing the size of the Pro Tools window is an option, but I don't have a big enough window as it is so I hate to do that. And that hack sounds kinda scary. I was hoping someone would know of a freeware utility that would give me a 'dock off' option, but I guess there isn't enough of a demand for it. I'm kinda surprised, though.

7. kick52 macrumors member

If I remember correctly there is an app which makes the Dock ridiculously small so you can hardly see it.. Let me see if I can find it.

Found it. http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23495

8. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I honestly don't think the hack is anything to be scared of, I'd be more or less annoyed by having to go back and forth with it in terminal if you want the dock when not using your pro apps :p

9. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

I just installed Knockoutdock, and it's pretty cool. It's about as unobtrusive now as it could possibly ever be, w/out being turned off completely. Thanks everyone!

10. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Thank You Kick52

Thanks Kick52! I always use the Recent Items menu set to 50 of everything. Great to know how to lose the Dock.