Turning WiFi/Bluetooth/etc on and off quickly

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mgpg89, Jun 28, 2009.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Is there any way I can quickly turn WiFi and Bluetooth on or off, without having to go to 'Settings' and tap through several layers of screens?

Maybe an app that allows you to toggle them?

Thanks in advance!

2. mmulin macrumors 6502

Most obvious, you can do it via the menu bar. Just toggle in the applicable System Preferences panels "Show <Airport/ Bluetooth> status in the menu bar"

Or, you can write yourself an Apple Script application around the below Unix commands and put them in the Dock or launch them via Spotlight.

For the Bluetooth - off:
    sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.blued.plist

- on:
    sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.blued.plist

For the Wifi - off:
    sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -z

- on:
    sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -A –associate=SSID –password=PASSWORD

..if you know the network you want to connect to. Otherwise you may need to write a wrapper script which scans for available networks using the "-s" option and logon to a network which is known to you (..and hence hard coded for the script) or a network without security (the "-s" option will show it).

Ahh, never mind! Above is for MacOSX and not the iPhone

3. Nanook macrumors regular

Nanook

Does Applescript work in the iPhone?

To the OP, this is one of my biggest pet peeves with the iPhone, so I jailbroke and use a program called SBSettings which gives you all those toggles and more with a simple swipe across the top of the screen.

4. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Doesnt this require jailbreaking?

5. mmulin macrumors 6502

Oooops, I wasn't aware this is about iPhone but MacOSX. In that case, jailbreak and have a whole lot of possibilities, inclusive SBSettings which I prefer.

I am not aware of an Apple sanctioned app for this but I never checked. I think it would violated the agreement. Try browsing the iTunes store.

6. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

SBSettings here...as soon as the 3G S jb is available that is.

7. infinart macrumors newbie

infinart

Is there away without jail breaking?

if not, what are the implications of jail breaking? what are the pros and cons?

8. Haugisen macrumors newbie

Haugisen

There is no way without jailbreaking. For me at least, there are no implications of jailbreaking, except tethering, but it's not that big of a deal. I rarely turn off my phone. A pros and cons list is just a few google searches away.