Turns on, chimes, but no video.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Loudcoure, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Loudcoure macrumors newbie

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place.

Hello everyone. I recently ran into a problem within my macbook and I can't seem to get a definite answer.

I have a Macbook Pro (MacBookPro6,2, i7, etc) Mid-2010 15". So, no, no warranty.

My DC-in has had a short in it for a long time now and the hinges have also been really lose for a long time now. So today I decided I would attempt to fix them myself as since I am pretty experienced with computer hardware.

After replacing the DC-in (which requires taking the whole logic board out carefully), and tightening the hinges, I put it all back together, turn on the macbook and no visual.

I get a chime, the keyboard lights up, and the harddrive is loading, but its a completely black screen with no backlight.

I decided to hook up the macbook up to an external monitor, and it shows up on there just fine and everything works fine on there, I'm just not getting anything on the macbook.

Now it's left me to question if the screen went bad (I dont know why it would), or that Display Data Cable somehow messed up and got a short. (everyone else keeps saying its a Logic board problem, But I really dont see how it would be if everything works.) Yes I did an SMC reset, etc etc. I disconnected the outer display cable and reconnected it and whatnot and still no luck.

There seems to not be much information on a resolve on this issue. I was curious if maybe anyone here had a certain answer or idea or help on this.

Im assuming my best bet would be going to get it diagnosed?

Thanks for any help.

2. durkkin macrumors regular

Since the external monitor/video out still works, it's not the logic board or graphics card. The only definite answer anyone will be able to give is that something happened to your display during disassembly/reassembly. You might have pinched a cable tightening the hinges on your display, you might have shorted a cable, etc. Your only option is to take it back apart and see if there is anything apparently wrong with the internal display connection.

3. Loudcoure thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I opened it back up. Disconnected the video cable and reconnected it, and powered on the Mac again. I see the backlight "flicker on then off" but no visual.

I also messed with the video cord in different positions to see if I could get a visual, again, nothing. Tried many things and got the same results.

Seems my last option is to call apple support and possibly take it into an apple store.

Ugh this is disappointing. Guess the cord screwed up.