Turns out they DID release a new iMac!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by The "Dude", Jun 13, 2012.

1. The "Dude" macrumors regular

I don't know if you guys saw the reports on the new iMac, so I thought I'd share the details:

The new model has a powerful CPU and a very good Nvidia graphics card. It includes an HDMI port to connect to an external monitor if you'd like. There's reports that it runs Diablo 3 at native res smoothly, and it Benchmarks as one of the fastest Macs ever. Throw in the fastest RAM available and a roomy SSD drive. It's also considerably thinner and lighter than the last generation iMacs. Oh, and it's portable.

They also changed the name to the Retina MacBook Pro.

Yes, I know the difference in cost is substantial, but anyone who was disappointed in the lack of an iMac update should at least consider this as an alternative. And I believe that the difference in cost will be made up by the longevity of this machine. It is EASILY years ahead of any other mobile computer on the market. So, aside from price, this is a no-brainer.

2. nicklaz0r macrumors member

Yeah, I guess aside from price EVERYONE would've bought a 2011 iMac and then update to the 2012. But now, price is pretty relevant.

3. Matador Red macrumors member

Guess what, not everyone wants or needs portability. By the time I spec a high end MBPR and add a 27" TBD I am close to $5000. Seems like a waste money.

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Besides not even being the least bit hilarious.. if I wanted to settle for 650M performance, I would have bought the 6970m iMac already.

5. Blackhorse16a macrumors newbie

So what's the price delta?

This may be what I need.

6. The "Dude" thread starter macrumors regular

The 27" iMac with a 3.1Ghz i5 4gb RAM and Radeon 6970M graphics retails for $1,999.

The non-retina 15" new MBP with 2.6Ghz i7 8gb RAM and Nvidia 650M retails for $2,199.

Also, the base retina model with a 2.3Ghz i7 and 256mb SSD is also $2,199.

7. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Except, you know, the whole 27" screen thing. Kind of a big deal...resolution can only go so far.;)

8. The "Dude" thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure I said I was aware of the difference in price. I was waiting for the new iMacs as well, but after seeing the RMBP I decided that it was a worthy replacement. And being that shipping dates have slipped to 3-4 weeks, it appears I'm not the only one in the boat.

So, you can wait for the 2013 refresh or go buy a Dell AIO if you'd like.

9. Tezcatlipoca macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

The (rather large) difference in price is not the only difference. Screen size is also quite different...

I don't want an expensive laptop with a small screen, I want a desktop with a big screen...

10. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

I think the screen size on the imac is the biggest thing for most people (atleast for me). The retina mbp is nice but it would be like working on an iphone compared to an ipad. The resolution might be there but the size just is not.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

screen size. optical drive. larger HD, user accessible RAM, Ethernet, FW800 etc are just some of the reasons why this post makes no sense at all.

12. LaWally macrumors 6502a

In spite of your nonsensical argument to the contrary, I will wait for the iMac refresh/update and pass on the rMBP 15" as a "desktop" replacement.

I take it you've never worked with a 27" iMac.

13. The "Dude" thread starter macrumors regular

I'm currently running on a MacMini that's two generations old. So, you can wait. But I can't. I'll be perfectly happy with the RMBP and a Thunderbolt display. And yes, that setup is a desktop replacement for me. I could care less about the optical drive (which I rarely use), the non-upgradeable RAM (which I've never upgraded), and the lack of Ethernet (wireless standards outclass current ISP speeds by quite a bit).

14. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

Well, don't think nobody's done the math. A Macbook plugged into an external display is a poor replacement for a real desktop and it costs a lot more.

15. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

After my hot-n-heavy 15" MBP, the 13" MBA spoiled me completely. I would have ordered a 13" MBA w/ the retina display on day one, but I wouldn't go back to a 15" laptop (no matter how thin and light they manage to make it).

iMac on the desk, MBA for everything else.

16. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I considered the RMBP for a few seconds. But I don't need portability. I need screen real estate and a better GPU than a 650m.

17. The "Dude" thread starter macrumors regular

That was my plan too (substitute MBA for iPad). Unfortunately, they didn't come out with a new iMac, and I'm not going to pay current prices for last year's technology. I can't afford to wait until 2013, so the rMBP was my alternative.

I wasn't attacking the iMac with this thread. Merely stating that anyone who was saving for the maxed out iMac like I was may not find the few hundred dollar difference such a stretch.