Turtle beach PX5 optical out Mid 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shadowswan, Nov 25, 2012.

1. shadowswan macrumors newbie

Trying to get my turtle beach PX5 headphones to work with my MacBook Pro via the optical out port so I can use them for gaming and films with surround sound but I don't seem to be able to get the headphones to pick up anything. I have them connected as such PX5 -> reciever -> optical cable -> spidf headphone jack style adaptor -> MBP.

They work over bluetooth and I have used the optical port in the past and can see the red light so presume it is working ok and I can use the headphones over optical with my ps3. Does the MBP use a strange optical output or codec that the headphones can't pick up?

Tried everything I can think of such as manually selecting the headset in sys prefs and in Audio MIDI setup, which only shows 2 speakers as stereo despite the PX5 being capable of 5.1 and am now very confused.

Please help!
    Thanks

2. tann macrumors 68000

I know this thread is old, but I am having the same issue.

I have it connected headphones>receiver>optical cable>optical-3.5mm adapter>mac and i don't hear anything through the headset.

It works fine with other optical sources so I'm not sure what's wrong with this?

3. tann macrumors 68000

FYI I've looked around and it appears to be a common thing with MacBooks and Optical Out.

Basically according to this thread dust inside the computer gets in the way, so I literally did as this guy said and sucked on it and now the light at the end of the cable is 10x brighter and sound flows through perfectly.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4375323?start=0&tstart=0

:)