Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Themegamacman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I've been seeing this question quite a lot lately, so I thought I'd jump in with a tutorial of how to connect any Mac laptop with a Mini Displayport to an HDTV. This allows for both video and audio from one output, the Thuderbolt/Mini Displayport. It is very simple.

What you will need is a Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter. I've listed a few options with links below:
All listed should work the same, the only thing that may vary is build quality. I've listed what I found to be the best. The links are for Amazon.com because it is far cheaper than the Apple store.

And an HDMI Cable (Almost any will do since they're all essentially the same if they work, being as the signal is digital, not analog.)

Now all you have to do is plug the adapter into your MacBook Pro or Air and the HDMI cable into the adapter and into your HDTV. Once you've put set the TV to the correct input the MacBook should automatically detect the TV and adjust (it will go to a blue screen as it detects the new display and adjusts). If it doesn't and something's not working, see below.

If the picture isn't how you want it, adjust settings here: Navigate into System Preferences>Displays

If your audio isn't working: Navigate into System Preferences>Sound>Output and adjust accordingly.

If your video isn't working correctly: Navigate into System Preferences>Displays and click on Detect Displays. You can then choose the "mirroring" option and your computer screen should now be displayed on your TV. If you have any other problems, please let me know.

Last edited:

Themegamacman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Saw that, but thought it might be a little too complicated for some people, so I wrote a simplified version that is a little more straightforward and less technical so that people who don't have time to spare can figure out how to do it quickly. Sorry if this counts as double posting, I only meant to help. :)
No problem. I just didn't know if you were aware of that guide.

jdwagner888

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Great tutorial!

You can also use the Mini-display to VGA connector. But doing this would require an extra wire to be run from your headphone jack to the TV aswell.

This is what I do with my Henge-Docks setup and it works pretty good, although an HDMI would be much cleaner of an install.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Never thought this was such a big deal?

Buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Mini-DisplayP...6LWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336279633&sr=8-1

for $4...

Hook it up to your tv, when you switch your tv to that hdmi input you will notice, then just change the output res on the displays settings. Either set it to output as a separate display, or choose mirroring. And if you want audio set hdmi as the default audio device in audio midi setup.

Although it sucks for people with macbooks prior to the 2010 version :p

Last edited:

jdwagner888

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Never saw that before. I might have to order one to cleanup my current setup.. Plus the bulky connector on the apple adapter is a tight fit in the henge dock.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
Also, not all Macs output audio over the MiniDP. Started with some 2010 models, if I remember correctly.

Also good to note, some MiniDP to HDMI adapters don't support audio, even if the Mac does.

This guide is pretty useless since it is so incomplete.

rault18

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Las Vegas, Nv
46b4c793-33a5-f7bb.jpg

woot!! Best 9 dollars I've spent this year

Fyi I bought it off eBay not amazon

Last edited by a moderator:

rault18

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Las Vegas, Nv
Also in getting audio as well. One question. Is if I change it to 1080 I get the black bars on the side ..so I'm running at 720

mfuchs88

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2011
Also in getting audio as well. One question. Is if I change it to 1080 I get the black bars on the side ..so I'm running at 720

I'm not completely sure what you're asking but I may be able to help, as I've been using one of those adapters for quite some time. Are you having trouble with audio? And the black bars are probably because the aspect ratio of your TV is different from the aspect ratio of 1080p, but I don't know much about resolutions and stuff like that so I could be terribly wrong. Hope this helped a little bit and maybe the OP can chime in with a better answer.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Since there is also the Mini DVI interface for pre-unibody MacBooks, you might specify that in your post (what model you have).
Anyway, the other guide is quite thorough, and I even added some additional information to it. If that is too complicated for some people, I don't really know, how they can operate a computer successfully, though many don't, otherwise this place would be quite empty.

Last edited by a moderator:

kwrigh

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Setting up multiple laptops to use the same TV Monitor

I have a macbook pro and an hp laptop that I would like to connect to the same tv monitor and work using a shared screen. Can you tell me how/if this can be done?

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
I have a macbook pro and an hp laptop that I would like to connect to the same tv monitor and work using a shared screen. Can you tell me how/if this can be done?

I responded to your new thread on this, but I'll echo my comments here for the benefit of others. No you cannot use two devices on one display at the same time. You can use only one device at a time per display.

Themegamacman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I responded to your new thread on this, but I'll echo my comments here for the benefit of others. No you cannot use two devices on one display at the same time. You can use only one device at a time per display.

Thanks for helping out, I've not been online lately. :) Best wishes.

nyrblue35

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
issues:

I'd like to add a question to this thread. I bought an iAdapt V2 mini display to HDMI cable for my macbook pro but i cannot get an image on my TV. I have tried two different HDMI cables as well as both ports on my tv to make sure.
The macbook turns blue but the tv although it seems like it might be getting a signal doesnt show an image. The cable i bought was this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190709520892?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

My macbook pro was manufactured in February 2010 if that info is needed.
I assumed this would work with my laptop but does 2 months make a difference? I just noticed that this ebay auction it says video/audio for APRIL 2010. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.