Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
The McTube app gained popularity for its YouTube video downloading feature, named "Cache" to mask the fact that it can download videos from YouTube, against their Terms of Service.

They were forced to remove the feature after YouTube requested them to. The feature was removed to prevent the app from being removed entirely.
This led to the feature being disabled for many users, usually those who download it fresh from the App Store.

It turns out, caching can be re-enabled with a plist file. The feature has not been stripped from the app's code, and can be brought back.

You can download McTube fresh from the App Store, and download this plist file here:
https://mega.co.nz/#!XFF2DRTR!GyE8nruK-S1x_UCVnMNYF9EwPMyyn6KOYRNfcni5_UA

Place this file into the Library/Preferences folder of the McTube app using iFunBox on Mac or PC.

And you shall have caching once again.

To cache videos in the newest 5.0 update, you have to tap the area directly to the left of the gear icon that changes video quality, since it is not a supported feature anymore. It still functions normally, allowing you to choose the quality of the download. This is likely to hide the fact that the feature still exists. The Quick Cache (+) buttons work, too.

Please report successes or failures.

Zjabre

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
@Doctorkrabs

Do you know how it would work for the ipad version as the area next to the gear has the cc sign. If I press on the + sign it gives me the option to add to favourites, watch later, playlists.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 356

Wal189

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2014
@Doctor Krabs I need help in how to transfer the file into mctube. I don't know if you copy it or paste it or I don't know hi to drag the file into mctube

bruceleeperry

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2013
Beautiful, thank you! The pref file worked for iphone 5 and iPad 3, both ios7.1.2

The device needs to be jailbroken.
Use iFunbox etc or SSH into your device.
As mentioned the pref file needs to go in
user applications>mctube>library>preferences

There was already a prefs file in there but I just replaced it with this one.

In the app itself on your device go into more>settings and you will now see a cache menu. Not sure why but the app on my phone shows labels ie Search, History, Cache etc under the icons at the bottom of the GUI but not on my iPad where I only get the icons.

nolimit!

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2014
still works on my iphone but i just tested on ipad air ios 8.0.2, it doesnt work. any idea why?

thanks

lylecasas

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
Thanks! still works with iOS8. After you paste the plist into library/preferences, eject your device and restart. Voila! You now have a video downloader. ;)

kitties

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Howww

Thanks! still works with iOS8. After you paste the plist into library/preferences, eject your device and restart. Voila! You now have a video downloader. ;)

i downloaded iFunBox and the plist file but after i go into McTube>Library>Preferences, i have no idea how to paste the plist into it. Could you go through step-by-step instructions on what you did please? :(

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
thanks this works with iOS 8.1

no jailbreak required, just reboot your phone or iPad when done

the problem is you can't cache music songs , because the player does something weird and defaults to the youtube official player

Last edited:

avoidandroid

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2013
I restored from iTunes backup and my videos got restored

Great to hear that your downloaded videos were restored. I assume then all you have to do is add the file to enable the cache again?

ipadminiuser79

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
thank you

i decided not to jailbreak my ipad mini and i miss the caching on mctube. after reading this forum though and downloading the plist file and putting it on my ipad, caching is back and i love this.

now i have no reason to jailbreak anymore. :D:apple:

avoidandroid

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2013
Can someone provide the path of where to drop the file into of the mctube app is located. I can't seem to locate where the app is using iPhoneBrowser. Thanks

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Can someone provide the path of where to drop the file into of the mctube app is located. I can't seem to locate where the app is using iPhoneBrowser. Thanks

/var/mobile/Applications assuming that's possible to navigate to on a non jailbroken device, if you are on one

If all you see are folders with random names, then it's in one of those folders

avoidandroid

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2013
I have a jailbroken 6+ running 8.1 and I don't see an Applications folder under var/mobile. I'll search again.

avoidandroid

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2013
Looks like in ios8, the application folder is not in var/mobile. I have no luck in locating it in ios8.

NVM..........found it LOL

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.