General [Tutorial]Re-enable the "Cache" Feature in McTube

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DoctorKrabs, Aug 13, 2014.

1. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

The McTube app gained popularity for its YouTube video downloading feature, named "Cache" to mask the fact that it can download videos from YouTube, against their Terms of Service.

They were forced to remove the feature after YouTube requested them to. The feature was removed to prevent the app from being removed entirely.
    This led to the feature being disabled for many users, usually those who download it fresh from the App Store.

It turns out, caching can be re-enabled with a plist file. The feature has not been stripped from the app's code, and can be brought back.

You can download McTube fresh from the App Store, and download this plist file here:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!XFF2DRTR!GyE8nruK-S1x_UCVnMNYF9EwPMyyn6KOYRNfcni5_UA

Place this file into the Library/Preferences folder of the McTube app using iFunBox on Mac or PC.

And you shall have caching once again.

To cache videos in the newest 5.0 update, you have to tap the area directly to the left of the gear icon that changes video quality, since it is not a supported feature anymore. It still functions normally, allowing you to choose the quality of the download. This is likely to hide the fact that the feature still exists. The Quick Cache (+) buttons work, too.

Please report successes or failures.

2. nolimit! macrumors newbie

3. Zjabre macrumors newbie

@Doctorkrabs

Do you know how it would work for the ipad version as the area next to the gear has the cc sign. If I press on the + sign it gives me the option to add to favourites, watch later, playlists.

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Wal189 macrumors newbie

@Doctor Krabs I need help in how to transfer the file into mctube. I don't know if you copy it or paste it or I don't know hi to drag the file into mctube

5. bruceleeperry macrumors newbie

Beautiful, thank you! The pref file worked for iphone 5 and iPad 3, both ios7.1.2

The device needs to be jailbroken.
    Use iFunbox etc or SSH into your device.
    As mentioned the pref file needs to go in
    user applications>mctube>library>preferences

There was already a prefs file in there but I just replaced it with this one.

In the app itself on your device go into more>settings and you will now see a cache menu. Not sure why but the app on my phone shows labels ie Search, History, Cache etc under the icons at the bottom of the GUI but not on my iPad where I only get the icons.

6. nolimit! macrumors newbie

still works on my iphone but i just tested on ipad air ios 8.0.2, it doesnt work. any idea why?

thanks

7. lylecasas macrumors newbie

Thanks! still works with iOS8. After you paste the plist into library/preferences, eject your device and restart. Voila! You now have a video downloader. ;)

8. kitties macrumors newbie

Howww

i downloaded iFunBox and the plist file but after i go into McTube>Library>Preferences, i have no idea how to paste the plist into it. Could you go through step-by-step instructions on what you did please? :(

9. lylecasas macrumors newbie

do drag and drop or click Copy from PC, then locate the file

10. 6plus macrumors newbie

11. cgshaq macrumors newbie

same here both devices are 8.1; but only worked on the phone and not the ipad. ?

12. Che Castro, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014

Che Castro macrumors 603

thanks this works with iOS 8.1

no jailbreak required, just reboot your phone or iPad when done

the problem is you can't cache music songs , because the player does something weird and defaults to the youtube official player

13. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

14. Che Castro macrumors 603

Is that a cydia app ?

With this tutorial you don't need to jailbreak

15. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

Oh ok. Jailbreak is required for protube.

16. avoidandroid macrumors member

If you had to restore your iphone, would you lose your downloaded videos and start all over again?

17. 6plus macrumors newbie

I restored from iTunes backup and my videos got restored

18. avoidandroid macrumors member

Great to hear that your downloaded videos were restored. I assume then all you have to do is add the file to enable the cache again?

19. 6plus macrumors newbie

I didn't had to add the file again

20. ipadminiuser79 macrumors newbie

thank you

i decided not to jailbreak my ipad mini and i miss the caching on mctube. after reading this forum though and downloading the plist file and putting it on my ipad, caching is back and i love this.

now i have no reason to jailbreak anymore. :D:apple:

21. avoidandroid macrumors member

Can someone provide the path of where to drop the file into of the mctube app is located. I can't seem to locate where the app is using iPhoneBrowser. Thanks

22. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

/var/mobile/Applications assuming that's possible to navigate to on a non jailbroken device, if you are on one

If all you see are folders with random names, then it's in one of those folders

23. avoidandroid macrumors member

I have a jailbroken 6+ running 8.1 and I don't see an Applications folder under var/mobile. I'll search again.

24. avoidandroid, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

avoidandroid macrumors member

Looks like in ios8, the application folder is not in var/mobile. I have no luck in locating it in ios8.

NVM..........found it LOL

25. Foolmonkey macrumors newbie