Tutorial to achieve optimal boot time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GA84, Nov 15, 2009.

1. GA84 Guest

I constantly see new threads concerning slow boot times. In the spirit of efficiency here is a quick tutorial to achieve optimal boot times on your MBP.

First of all, I have a WD Scorpio Black in my MBP. My MBP boots in 22 seconds (from chime to desktop including fully loaded menubar with istat). I'm on 10.6.2.

Second. You will need to do a lot more than just restore disk permissions to obtain the fastest possible boot time. Defragging your disk on the other is not necessary one of those things in my experience.

Third. Hard-drive performance, in general and specifically when it comes to boot time, is greatly effected by the amount of used space (I've only used about 14% of the available space on my drive). If you have used say about 80% of the free space on your drive, don't expect a fast boot time (or great drive performance in general) no matter what you do.

Here's is what you should do.

Obviously if you are going to benchmark your boot time you should disconnect all peripheral and turn of Bluetooth and Airport and have no files or folders on your desktop.

Download either MainMenu or Onyx and use it to do the following:
    - Run all the OS X maintenance scripts (daily, weekly and monthly)
    - Clean the system cache, all user caches and the font caches. Flush the DNS cache
    - Remove temporary files
    - Update pre-bindings
    - Remove corrupt preferences
    - Restore disk permissions

After all the maintenance do the following:
    - Reset PRAM & PMU
    - Restart your computer once more and then shut it down.

Now you can start your MBP and time the boot from when you hear the chime to when you see the desktop and the menubar is fully loaded.

And remember if you are going to benchmark your boot time you should disconnect all peripheral and turn off Bluetooth and Airport and have no files or folders on your desktop.

Good luck!

2. eMagine macrumors regular

eMagine

or get a SSD

my boot time with Intel X-25M G2 80GB is 7 seconds.

3. GA84 thread starter Guest

I will. Just waiting for prices to go down a bit. There is no reason not to optimize your drive until you get a ssd. And btw, you can obviously apply the tutorial to a ssd as well and perhaps make it even faster...

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I think that's a bit exaggerated. I have a G2 intel drive and it cold boots my MBP in 15 seconds.

5. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I don't think that number is exaggerated. I believe my boots up in 7 or less.

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

video or it didn't happen. I'm sure it's actually longer than you "believe".

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just do what I do,

don't reboot :D Then you don't have to worry about slow boot times.

slightly off topic. I don't get this obsession with boot times. Perhaps its because I come from pre-mac/pre-ibm pc time and boot times have always been slow. Turn on your computer, grab a cup of coffee and don't sweat it.

8. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Amen brother! Reliable sleep is one of the things that truly ties me to having a Mac as my portable - sure, my Air or my mini take about a minute to boot (which IMHO is still quite fast), but it takes about 1/2 second to wake up :)