Tutorial to hide apps from Launchpad

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by legarejp, Jul 21, 2011.

1. legarejp macrumors newbie

Hi, I just created an account to share what I found minutes ago, how to hide "crap apps" that you don't want to see on the Mac OS X Lion Launchpad.

When the update came out in the Mac App Store, I jumped on it. Been a Mac user for 2 years now and the last update is just amazing! Only one problem though, the Launchpad shows every single application or executable that are in your Applications folder.

Only with Adobe CS5, I had a page filled with "naib"s, "Flash Player"s, "Uninstaller"s, etc. That's annoying! So i searched the web. The best solution that I found was to create a crap folder and to put it on the last page. That's not even a solution!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I put gloves on and started digging the new OS. Here's my temporary solution until Apple fix that (I hope) :

1. Download SQLite Database Browser -> http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/

2. Open Launchpad

3. To follow the first suggestion, put everything you don't want in a folder, and put this folder as the very last icon, in the very last page. *I'll explain later.

4. Go to Finder and press Shift+Cmd+G. It should ask you which folder you want to access, type ~/Library/Application Support/Dock. You should now see a .db file.

5. Open SQLite Database Browser and drag the .db on the dock icon. The database file should open immediately.

6. Click on Browse Data. Select groups in the drop-down menu.

7. Find the name of the folder of step 3, double click on the number(item_id) next to it and add a minus. Exp : 411 -> -411.

8. Save with the top-left icon and restart your session. The folder should be invisible now!:)

2. legarejp thread starter macrumors newbie

*The reason of the folder is because it's simpler to unhide after.

If you hide your apps separately, using the same " - " workaround, you'll end up with holes in your apps pages.

When you will download new apps, these holes will get filled. So then when you will unhide your apps they will try to show on already filled pages, exceeding the maximum number of apps per page thus hiding the lasts apps. These hidden apps won't show on the next page of the Launchpad cause their allocated page number hasn't been change on the Launchpad database.

TO FIX THIS: Move the first app of a page where the bug occurred to an other position and put it back at it's original place. Your hidden apps should have reappeared on the next page!

3. legarejp thread starter macrumors newbie

4. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I think if you want to use Launchpad this way you're kinda missing the point. For newbies/ people not wishing to access all apps in Launchpad, I'd put the applications you want to use in the dock [drag the icon from the Applications folder to the dock]. The point of the Launchpad is to allow easy access to applications. Nullifying it by editing at a system level is probably not the best way to solve this "problem".

5. legarejp thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I do know that. :rolleyes: I find myself that using the old applications folder in the dock is way faster than Launchpad. I did mentioned it was a temporary fix. The fact is that most users will now use Launchpad instead and for apps like Adobe's ones that have side-apps that run as cores that shows up in the Launchpad, this tutorial is useful.:D

It's not about hiding some apps (I do get the point that Launchpad has been created to show every app), it's about hiding things that shouldn't appear in it! Like those "naib" apps that shows with every CS5 product, they are unuseful, they shouldn't appear there!

6. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I just stuck all the apps I rarely, if ever use, in a folder and put it on the last page of Launchpad to get them out of the way.

7. tzus macrumors member