Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebpayne

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Some tutorials written by me for quickly installing X11 and OpenOffice.org 2 on Mac OS X for those who a painless experience for a 'free' (in both senses) office suite. For those who can't afford Microsoft Office or want the freedom of OpenDocument, OpenOffice.org is great. This shows any user how to do it relatively painlessly.

Seb

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Thanks for writing the nice tutorials! :) I use Office 04 and don't personally have interest, but I do support. :)

I have some questions:

1) Is the advice here to use OpenOffice instead of NeoOffice because NeoOffice 2 is in alpha (and the stable NeoOffice is in 1.x)? Getting the latter running on a Mac is much easier, even without a tutorial.

2) I wonder if you can make a guide page for us on this topic? ;) If not, I wonder if MacRumors does stub guide pages that just link offsite... since this seems like a good thing to increase accessibility to.

:)

sebpayne

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
NeoOffice isn't part of the offical OpenOffice.org project - I prefer to use the 'offical' builds for various reasons. Plus, NeoOffice isn't available for Intel Macs (at this time anyway). Hopefully, a native Aqua port of OpenOffice.org will come soon and wipe the floor which Office stands on!!

Thanks for the comments

Seb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.