tv and movie writers on strike

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by furcalchick, Oct 30, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

found this today through my bbc rss feed. haven't seen this news anywhere else though, but we could be in for alot of repeats soon if things don't get sorted out by tomorrow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7068955.stm

here are some strike news resources to check on a regular basis

variety.com writers strike coverage
    variety's writers strike blog
    unitedhollywood.com blog: wga's strike coverage
    wga's youtube channel
    the tv grid: production status on tv shows (updated regularly by the la times)
    wikipedia page on writer's strike
    wikipedia's page on shows affected by the strike

2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

3. MacHipster macrumors 6502

While I hope that they continue to work out their grievances with the AMPTP, I support them if they do go on strike. Screenwriters always get the short end of the stick compared with the SAG and the DGA. I admit that I'm indifferent to the DGA, but SAG is so damn greedy that I can never support them.

4. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

A few less excuses to watch tv would do some of us (myself included) no harm. ;)

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

24 fans need not worry. The show can just re-use the script from Season 2, 3, or 4. Or 5. Possibly Season 6 as well.

Does anyone else here think that screenwriters would be VERY easy to replace? They don't exactly come up with many original ideas, do they.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

ah but you forgot there are laws controlling how a strike works. Effectively they would have a hiring freeze put on them. So they could not outsource the writing somewhere else.

7. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Wow, great news for me! Plenty of professional crew-members will be out of work and willing to work cheaply soon... ;) :p

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This also affects comedy writers, so late night TV will grind to a halt.

9. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Or they'll work under false names like they did the last time.;)

10. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

late night tv will be the first to suffer, since they tape the day of airing. linky.

here's variety's full coverage of the oncoming strike. we could be in for more newsmagazines as well (remember when dateline was on 5 nights a week?) as well as the reality shows.

11. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

But if the writer's go on strike there'll be nothing for the crew to shoot! :D

12. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

update

tv and movie writers going on strike as soon as monday.

http://www.variety.com/VR1117975247.html

not sure if i said this here or not, but if this strike ends by new years, most tv viewers won't notice the damage with the holidays coming up.

13. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I can't believe reality TV has lasted so long. Its no more than dumbed down cheap trash.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

meh. i don't watch tv in the first place so its not really going to affect me at all but they gotta do what they gotta do, right?

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I only watch Heroes and Lost from the US, will it affect them?

Hopefully it'll make them shorten Lost and we get some real answers :rolleyes:

16. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yes, it's been almost eight years now since "Survivor" kicked off the golden age of reality-television and I would have guessed it would have lost steam by now.

I realize the shows are just so cheap to produce that networks can't resist them, so even average ratings mean a better profit for them than a much-watched, super-expensive show like "Heroes," but still - there's just so many of them that I can't believe the ratings they still manage to get. I never thought they'd go away entirely ("reality TV" has pretty much established itself as a legitimate TV genre) but I just didn't think it would make up as large a percentage of what's aired as it does eight years later...

And things like the impending strike only give the networks more reason to produce them in the future...

Heroes will probably only run the first 11 episodes of this season and the remaining half (Story Arc 3) will either be delayed or cancelled - depending on how long the strike is.

Lost, which wasn't set to air until 2008 anyway, had a greater chance of having the season cancelled entirely.

17. MacHipster macrumors 6502

The reports say that the studios and networks have enough scripts stockpiled to last until early next year. I don't know if that means January or the Fall 08 season.

18. Pani macrumors member

Pani

Better Off W/O It!

One of the best things to happen to the US public would be less t.v. Content is so influenced by sponsors these days, it is hard to tell when the "entertainment" begins and the commercials let off. I am down to one show, Ugly Betty, which is delightfully subversive. I can't even stand the charade that has become network news anymore! I bet we would be much happier if people started developing their own talents and entertaining themselves again! Long live muscians, poets, playwrights who may never see their name in lights, but live for their art anyway!

19. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

What about aspiring film makers? I guess they aren't important like poets are? :rolleyes:

P-Worm

20. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i think lost and 24 will have their season postponed indefinitely, so we won't see them until 2009.

and expect lots of repeats come new years. but it doesn't matter, i hope to be hooked on wii by that time. and i only really watch heroes and 24 anyway, so i'll just play more video games and watch youtube.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

while this stick will effect some of the shows I watch the ones I care about will not be effected at all since this season is already completely written and most if already filmed.

22. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

depends on the shows you watch. some shows are finished or nearly finished, while others only have enough shows to last through the new year.

here's a guide of how many shows will be affected by the strike: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-striketvgrid-html,0,7606966.htmlstory?coll=la-home-center

23. Dany M macrumors 6502

Lost already has 14 of 16 scripts written. 24 would have the same amount expect they started to late.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This will also affect day time soaps that only have a 3 week window.

25. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick