Tv antenna

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Finlay, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Finlay macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have just bought a notebook with a Tv board integrated but the problem is the antenna: I would like to watch the tv everywhere in my house, without connecting anything to the pc.

In my house my pc is connected to a wireless net and I have a traditional antenna slot and a free satellite decoder with motorized parabola.

Exists something than let me see the traditional and satellite tv on my pc using the wireless connection?

I know that i could transmit in streaming but I need a pc connected to the antenna and a very fast net; it's expensive and I don't know if it is worth.

I know that there are audio and video repeaters (Cobra, Rimax, Philips) but they need power, It would be a good solution but the receiver would have to be something very little like a usb stick or a PCIMCI board but does it exist?

Thank you

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is a Mac forum, but your question has nothing to do with Macs or Mac peripherals. That said, it is not quite clear what you are trying to do. Do you have your Windows laptop connected to an indoor antenna, outdoor antenna, or what?

Indoor antennas get very poor reception, particularly when they are moved away from a window. You might look into using a Slingbox.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

you could look at mythtv, i use it to watch live tv over my network.
    This is not something i would recommend trying if you aren't fairly technically savvy. although setup has gotten remarkably easier than it was the first time i set it up a few years back.

There are versions that will run on OS X, but it's primarily a linux applicaion.
    My main box is linux, but i can watch the recorded shows or live tv on the mini hooked to the tv, or on my laptop over the wireless network. (standard def shows are about 700 KB/s).

I also had one computer that took the feed out of a cable box (connected via s-video and the audio jacks) It had an IR transmitter to control the cable box, which would probably be what you would have to do.

4. Finlay thread starter macrumors newbie