Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awp69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
What the heck is going on with the TV app when it comes to iTunes movie content? 4K counts have dropped for tons of people (some to zero) and it’s just unstable.

And it’s happening both on and off of the beta.

Is all this because of tvOS 12 coming and Atmos being added to titles?

I mean I’m on the beta and if it really goes live this week, it certainly doesn’t seem ready.

Apple is an IT company and the way digital movie content on iTunes is handled is ridiculous.

In addition to TV app problems, why do they have to downgrade movies from 4K to HD every time they make a change. The other big providers like Vudu don’t do that.

Just seems like they treat movies from an IT perspective as a second hand step child.
A trillion dollar company can do better.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I agree the TV app is an absolute piece of trash and very un-Apple. Quite why it constantly recommends BBC programmes and ITV things to me when I never watch UK TV is a mystery to me - I watch an iTunes / Amazon Prime film once a week!

Worse is the iOS TV App. It's complicated. My poor old Auntie gets so confused with it. I bought her an SE 2 years ago and this app has truly lost her. She has one video on it that I put on for her and she's constantly pressing the wrong section or header. Plus her phone is uninvited with damn Apple notifications. I told her today to get rid of the damn thing as it takes too much of her time up.

Certainly with regards to iTunes Movies from my experience, Apple don't seem to be bothered with the service anymore. No customer service etc. I get the impression that they'd rather do away with selling film and make a streaming service etc. I buy occasionally now when a film is at the 'right price' but being honest, I took out an Amazon Prime yearly offer the other week and have now turned my back on iTunes. A shame as i'd been buying from them since 2009 but their customer service became shoddy and when that happens, I take my money elsewhere.

awp69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
Well, I don’t think the have completely ditched their movie service. They have upgraded way more movies to 4K than Vudu and adding Atmos is a big deal.

They just need to work on the way their infrastructure handles it all with respect to the TV App and how they even make those upgrades (downgrading movies temporarily, etc). It’s really annoying and sloppy for an IT company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.