TV app for UK in tvOS 11.1?

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by QuiteGrumpy, Oct 15, 2017.

1. QuiteGrumpy macrumors member

I’d be interested to know if anyone is running a developer build of tvOS 11.1 in the UK and has seen whether Apple’s TV App is live yet? Keen to know if it will be coming in the next update. Thank you.

2. Sakurambo-kun macrumors 6502

Sakurambo-kun

I gather in the US this app supports lots of different services, except Netflix and Amazon. In the UK, given the near total lack of UK apps, what will it do? There's BBC iPlayer. but the app is incredibly basic and hasn't been updated in any meaningful way in 2 years. There's Now TV, but Sky clearly gave up on that one many years ago. What else is there? There's no UKTV Play. ITV Hub, Demand 5, or All4, at least not yet.

I'm sure Netflix is the biggest app on the platform by far, but they aren't playing ball, and Amazon are still AWOL.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was iTunes content only.

3. QuiteGrumpy, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017

QuiteGrumpy thread starter macrumors member

They announced at the last keynote that Amazon and ITV Hub were coming to the Apple TV in the U.K. and would work with their TV app. It’s all due “before the end of the year.”

4. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

ITV, My5 and Amazon are all coming to the Apple TV this autumn/winter, this was quite big news!

I haven't seen anyone mention the TV app in 11.1 so I would suspect not, and I'd be surprised if it needed a release tbh, as I think it's something they can just turn on - like when the WWDC app appears/updates on your Apple TV.

It does look very good though, when I use my US account it appears on my TV, so I get to see what I'm missing out on. Part of me hopes this is the reason Now TV haven't bothered updating, because they'll just be in the TV app .... but this is Sky we're talking about, so it's unlikely.