TV as a monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aaronthomas, Oct 22, 2010.

1. aaronthomas macrumors regular

aaronthomas

Hey all!
    So I'm looking to use my Sony Bravia that is in my living room as a monitor for my computer in my den.
    I have a Mac Pro that I got in 2006 and it does not have a video card. I'm wondering if I can use the Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro HDMI card to make this happen. At the moment I have 3 cat 5 wires in the wall (one is being used for internet)... I'm guessing Ill need to use baluns to send the video over the cat5 wires?
    Enclosed are screen shots with the specs for the card and my computers ram. Also are there any baluns that anyone would suggest I use?
    Thanks so much!
    A

Attached Files:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That appears to be a video capture card. It won't give you graphics output without a graphics card...

3. C. Alan macrumors 6502

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

How are you going to control the computer from the living room?

5. aaronthomas thread starter macrumors regular

aaronthomas

Aaahhhhh! Ok ill look into that! But will that work with a bit older mac pro?
    Thanks for the reply!

6. aaronthomas thread starter macrumors regular

aaronthomas

Im going to use it strictly for Frontrow... Once up and running I can use a usb remote.... A but of walking back and forth but will work fine.

7. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

One thing I read about a TV being used for a monitor is a slight delay for response time is slower due to oversampling - I can not remember the article but someone may know more info

8. C. Alan macrumors 6502

There is an entire thread devoted to using the 5770 in early mac pros here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1002692

I just glanced at the thread, and it appears that most 2006 mac pros are compatible with the 5770. However, it seems to depend on the firmware on the Mac Pros motherboard.

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

10. C. Alan macrumors 6502

This actually is not a bad suggestion. It will sync with your Itune library, and stream everything to your TV. The apple Tv is only $99, and the video card for the Mac Pro would be around $250.

11. aaronthomas thread starter macrumors regular

aaronthomas

Interesting idea.... Just wondering though.... I have my movies on external drives.... I use frontrow to watch on my mac.... how could I get them into the Itunes library? There full ts folders.

12. aaronthomas thread starter macrumors regular

aaronthomas

13. C. Alan macrumors 6502

I use handbrake to transfer my DVD's. I transfer them over to m4v or mp4 files with the bitrate set at 1000 kbps. I don't know how that would compare to raw TS files. My movies typically run 1.2 to 1.7 gb in size, and they look ok on my 42" TV. I don't know if Itunes can deal with raw TS files.

14. aaronthomas thread starter macrumors regular

aaronthomas

Yeah... ive been cruzen the net tryen to find info and no luck as of yet. SIGH Its looken like ill have the get a video card and baluns..... stupid cat 5