TV as a Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jetmart, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jetmart macrumors newbie

Jetmart

I would like to hook my 15" Mac Book Pro to my TV. Are there cables to connect from the DVI to VGA adapter to RCA connection in the TV?

Will get sound?

2. cazlar macrumors 6502

Just note that using composite or S-video with an adapter like this works fine, but there's a resolution limit and the picture looks fairly crappy compared to DVI (or even VGA). Many modern flat-panels have VGA or HDMI inputs, so if you have these on your TV, better to use them if possible. If it is an older SDTV, just keep in mind that you might only be able to run at a relatively low resolution which might be great for DVDs etc, but maybe not web surfing.

3. stiphone macrumors regular

I've tried using composite and s-video before...it doesn't look as nice as on my LCD monitor. I agree that it's good enough for viewing videos and DVDs but not for surfing or doing any other work unless you hook it by via HDMI....i've not tried that yet so, it might differ..

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

TV is 740x480 and interlaced and most likely twice as big...your LCD is 1440x900 and progressive...so yeah the TV is going to looks fuzzy

5. Jetmart thread starter macrumors newbie

Jetmart

I have an early HDTV which has a "DVI-HDTV" input plug. It is an uncompressed digital video interface designed to deliver digital video in its native format. It is suppose to have the best quality. It looks much different then macs DVI plug.

Any ideas?

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

pics?

it should be the same plug

its not HDMI is it?
    [​IMG]

7. Jetmart thread starter macrumors newbie

Jetmart

See Pic below. It looks somewhat similar but it does not have the 3X8 pattern plus the 4 holes on the right.

Attached Files:

8. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

well if you have that port you done need a special cable
    thats just normal DVI

though you will need an audio cable