TV Buying Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrzeve, May 14, 2011.

1. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Hey folks,

Looking to purchase one of these two TVs and was wondering if anyone had any advice on which is better than the other. Just need it for casual viewing, cable, xbox, etc.

LG 47LW5700 (Cheaper by $50)
    Specs

SAMSUNG UN46D6050
    Specs (PDF)

Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks.

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I think the Samsung looks better, but that's obviously subjective. I like thin bezels!

3. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Certainly dont disagree with you there. Aesthetically, the Samsung is much nicer. But the LG has 3D :eek:

4. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

I recommend Samsung. If you want 3D, get a Samsung with 3D instead.
    Aside from having a great appearance, the picture is stunning and Samsung accessories like a BluRay player and speakers integrate very well.

I've got a 2010 series 6 + sound bar + 2011 BluRay over here... All by Samsung and it's all great.

Have Fun,
    Keri

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I too like the thin bezel around the screen on the Samsung, so I would go for that.

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

From an economical standpoint, the LG is a better buy. From an aesthetic standpoint, the Samsung is a better buy.

7. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

They are very similar in looks; both are very attractive compared to wider-bezel TVs on the market. I would not compromise picture quality for this small difference in looks when the sets are turned off.

I am looking for a TV and am leaning towards a plasma, which I think has a better picture (darker blacks, clearer fast-action images, etc.) and cost less for the same size screen than an LCD or LED. Costco has a great price on an LG 50" plasma with an ultra-thin screen and very narrow bezel for $800.