TV Buying advice question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chrono1081, Nov 9, 2011.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

I think my TV is about to die so I've been shopping for new ones. I know literally nothing about TV things but all I need to do is replace a 56 inch DLP TV with a flat panel TV.

Anyway, the biggest thing is I want to disable frame interpolation. I'm not even sure what the TV term for it is but its where the frame rate is artificially enhanced and it makes anything you watch look like a soap opera. Can I disable this on all TV's? Is there a term for it so I can look for a TV without it?

Also if anyone has any tips on if LCD or LED is better please let me know. I'm coming up with mixed answers from Google. Thanks :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm certainly no expert on TV technology, but after doing some research, I chose a plasma over an LED or LCD. I've been extremely pleased with it, and it sure gets a workout with all the movies we watch.

3. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks GGJ Studios! I will keep researching. Its hard because I really don't know what any of the stuff is and all my home theater friends have moved away :p

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ahh, yet another consumer confused by LED TVs... LED TVs are still LCDs, the only difference is the backlight, which is LED in LED TVs. OLED TVs are not available yet.

A bit more info would be appreciated. What size are you looking for? Generally speaking, plasma is better for +40" TVs. Smaller than that and LCD is okay (and you won't even find many plasmas). Plasmas tend to be thicker than LCDs, which can be a big deal depending on the setup. They also heat up more in my experience (small room = big problem). Here is some good reading.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I agree with GGJstudios that plasma is probably the ultimate for over 40" screen.

I bought a Samsung 46" LED LCD. Yes, LED only refers to illumination source, but in an in-store side by side comparison the LED LCD looked brighter than the straight LED. (I am assuming the settings were identical - who knows?)

I am not enough of a videophile to be able to distinguish between LCD and plasma. I watch A LOT of HD movies, and the LED LCD is absolutely incredible to my untrained eye.

So, if you have a videophile's eye, and you can afford the price differece, go for the plasma. If you are not quite so sharp-eyed, consider the Samsung 46" LED LCD. It's just over 1" thick, and looks sharp as hell.

Good luck on your choice, and enjoy your new TV.:D

6. YESimBLUNTED macrumors member

This is due to the refresh rate. TVs that have 120Hz and 240Hz+ refresh rates cause this look. It is horrible and I cannot stand watching tvs with this look.

Try to stay around 120Hz or below and you shouldn't have this look. I am not sure which tvs can change their refresh rates but that is what you need to look for.