TV buying help.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Waterbelly, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Waterbelly macrumors newbie

Okay so im looking to buy a new tv and i need help picking one out. I play lots of video games such as halo, left 4 dead, etc. And i want to be able to hook my Macbook up to it. Any help?

Also ive been looking at this one:http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd-tvs/nx2232w.htm

sorry vashti.

okay id like to spend no more than 450, it will just be in my room, 32 inch only, uuuhh, thats about it i guess. Thanks again guys.

2. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

I bought the Viewsonic N3752W about a year ago and LOVE it. $599 was hard to pass up during Black Friday for a 37" LCD :p

3. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

For Plasma- Pioneer.
    For LCD- (which is recommended for gaming) Panasonic.

Cheers. :apple:

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would suggest the Samsung Touch of Color series, such as the T220HD (22"), T240HD (24"), or the T260HD (26"). The 22" is 1680x1050 and the other two are 1900x1200, all have 2 HDMI ports, a (NTCS/ATSC)|(DVB-1/PAL) tuner, Component inputs, DVI and VGA, along with built in speakers with an audio input and optical output.

The T220HD is often around $320 USD, with another $100 for the 24" and another $100 for the 26".

The only drawback is no support for VESA mounting, but for most people it should be adequate (and I'm using the T220HD right now).

TEG

5. Vashti macrumors member

Can you give us any more information? What size are you looking at? How much light is in your environment?

If money is no object, I would get a Pioneer plasma. More affordable and still very, very good would be a Panasonic plasma. I'd rate Samsung third.

I disagree strongly that LCDs are better for gaming. LCDs are more likely to suffer from motion blur and picture artifacts that will make gaming less enjoyable. But if you do game on plasma, you need to be a little careful in the first 100 hours not to leave a static image on the screen. (Some think this is no longer a danger, but I'd still take it easy in the 1st 100 hours.)

There is a huge amount of information about TVs at avsforum.com. Check out the plasma and lcd subforums. In the plasma forum, check out the thread on Pioneer Kuro Pictures. There are lots of shots of gaming that are just incredible. (This is the TV I have.) Good luck.

6. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

OP, you said 32" only, but this tv is 22"? i have been looking at the tv you linked to as well mainly because i'll be able to use my computer via VGA and my Xbox 360 via HDMI.

oh, and it's the official MLG tv for 2009 so that was a little convincing regarding gaming.

EDIT: i meant to ask OP did you ever wind up getting the Viewsonic?