Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I play clash of clans (don't have time to play anything else really and even CoC I play very little). I have seen the commercial and it's okay.

But what is interesting is that a couple of years ago, the only games you saw in commercials were for game consoles. The fact that we are getting them for the iPad speaks to the point I have been harping on for a while - Game Consoles should be scared, only a couple more years in your run before the curve turns downward.

dmarcia

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
Sydney
It always amazes me at how many people have so much time on their hands that they can spend so much time playing games. They either need a job or a real life interacting with other humans.

I'm a fulltime uni student in networking, at the same time working full time as a barista. I also spend hours playing games in a day. The result: I have a satisfaction result, got good money from work, and top tier level in many games.

So whats wrong with you? Its you need to be socialized.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
There are people that play video games for 8 hours every day???

8 hours of 'play' does not mean all video games. Play means non-work.

I play video games about 45 minutes to an hour a day with my daughter. If the weather is nice, I play outside for 1-2 hours (swimming, sports, mowing the lawn) The rest of the time, I'm watching TV, surfing the internet, reading, socializing with people, relaxing, fixing things around the house, etc.

I'm of the opinion you work 8 hours, but when you're away from work, you DON'T work.

Kenrik

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2004
We now reached a point where the amount of apps is meaningless. There are thousands and thousands of "apps" (at least on Android) that are nothing more than a single wallpaper, or theme, or something about farts, etc.

Now, the important metric should be app quality, supported APIs, design guidelines, etc. Of course the App Store is well above the others in this metric, but (as data shows) it's not enough.

Copycat apps should be fiercely hunted down, devs penalized and the "filtering" should be tougher.

Am I wrong?

Indeed you are very "wrong" copy cat? so I guess numbers should not be allowed since excel exists? "Splinter Cell" should not be made because "Metal Gear Solid" came before it?

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG..

module0000

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2014
Copycat apps should be fiercely hunted down, devs penalized and the "filtering" should be tougher.

Am I wrong?

Yes, you're wrong. There is nothing illegal or copyright infringing with "copycat" applications. Only when someone copies a trademark do you have a legal issue(e.g. "Mario" or "Nike", *not* "Flappy Feet" or similar-looking titles). Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as the saying goes.

Concepts like the "app store" being successful require a large developer base. Dictating to those developers what we can and cannot develop will cause us to leave, and develop for competing "app store" platforms.

Last edited:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

Copycat apps are completely 100% legal, unless they copy artwork or music or source code without permission, or confuse registered trademarks, or violate granted patents. Most developers who complain have done nothing to register their trademarks or file any patents.

If you disagree, talk to Congress (or whomever your government is).

According to U.S. courts, copying something for parody ("flappy t*rds"?) is also legal.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Yes.

Who determines App quality? I have no interest in Clash of Clans, but obviously people enjoy it.

The success of Temple Run (arguably a copy of Canabalt) had a bunch of copycat games, some of which were better than the original.

Temple Run 2 is zoo much better.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Everything in moderation.

8 hours of work, 8 hours of sleep, 8 hours of play.

That was the plan all along, but…… gotta ask: U got a maid or executive assistant? The first two slots are right on, but my 'eight hours of play' are severely impacted by other duties. Don't know about others, but I certainly envy you…..lol (I do realize your comment was a tongue-in-cheek reply to another poster)

I'm apparently doing something wrong and need a new game plan, pun intended. ;) :D

Noetics

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2013
Clash of clans is awesome!!

IMG_3137.png

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
It always amazes me at how many people have so much time on their hands that they can spend so much time playing games. They either need a job or a real life interacting with other humans.

Wow, you're right. I'm going to stop all of my hobbies and entertainment activities and do what some schmuck on the internet says I should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.