TV Connectors

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kam760, Jun 7, 2008.

  1. kam760 macrumors newbie

    May 4, 2008

    I know there have been quite a few of these threads, however I am still confused.:confused:
    I want to connect my Blackbook to an 42" (HDTV), so I have decided to buy the mini dvi - VGA cable. I am now unsure of what cable i need for audio and for extension.
    I know the audio is the headphone - white and red, but I have no idea of the name/how to search for it.
    I think the extension is VGA-VGA male/male, is that right?

    Thank you
  2. MusicallySilent macrumors member

    May 23, 2007
    From the vga dongle you need a vga male to male extension cable unless for whatever reason they decided to make the dongle male to male

    If it has holes in the connector (female) try one of these
    If it has pins (male) [Highly unlikely as everyone would need new cables] try this

    For your audio if you are using a receiver and it has optical in you can enable optical out in your macbook and use this (miniplug -> Toslink optical cable):

    If you want to use integrated speakers in your TV, or your reciever lacks optical, or you just don't want to use optical you need a Mini->RCA like this: (For use with existing RCA cables) (Entire cable)
  3. kam760 thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 4, 2008

Share This Page