TV CPU Overload?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by gruff, Feb 10, 2010.

1. gruff macrumors newbie

In the last week or so when watching synched (not streamed) video on my TV, every now and then playback hangs for around 30 seconds, then recommences 30 seconds on in the program (video and audio, though the audio sometimes persists for a couple of seconds after the video stops)- it happens 3 or four times in a half hour TV show (and not in the same place, so doesn't appear to be a data problem). I looks a lot like what happens when watching streaming video on my wife's G5 iMac when the CPU gets overloaded (though on TV I can't monitor this). I have tried re-booting; leaving the TV to cool; resetting; factory resetting and resynching, but the problem still persists (btw here is 16GB free on the HDD drive - one forum I looks at suggested there could be a problem as it gets close to full).

Bottom line is that my family are close to giving up on TV, which is a shame as for the last 18 months we have all loved it - any ideas whats going on?

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

I NEVER sync, only stream and I can tell you that I have never had this issue.

Try streaming perhaps? If it is a HDD issue, that would solve it, or at least prove to you that's your problem.

3. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Does sound like it could be hard drive. odd that it just started happening. I assume nothing has changed when the issues started ? Yes, it is true that when the atv hard drive is completely full it can reduce playback performance from my experience. However as you stated you have pleny of free space for the most part. Easiest thing it to try streaming (un syncing your content or at least a bulk of it first) to see if it is anything else.

4. gruff thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions, though I have experienced the same problem with streaming content too.

Having said that, I downloaded 3.0.2 this am and (fingers crossed) it looks as though the problem has gone away (though I didn't get enough time to try more than 15 minutes playback before I went out today.

Here's hoping....