Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Michelle Mendelovitz, a TV exec who worked for Apple for two years and oversaw the development of shows like "For All Mankind," "Servant," and "Visible: Out on Television," is leaving Apple for Disney-owned 20th Century Fox TV, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

forallmankind.jpg

At Fox, Mendelovitz will lead the drama development team with the title Senior Vice President of Drama Development. Mendelovitz first joined Apple as a Creative Executive in September 2018 as Apple was working to build the Apple TV+ service that debuted in November 2019.

Prior to that, she worked at Sony Pictures Entertainment and CBS, developing TV shows like "The Good Doctor," "Bloodline," "Mom," and more.

20th Century Fox, owned by Disney as of March 2019, has been responsible for producing TV shows like "Glee," "How I Met Your Mother," "Family Guy," "American Horror Story," "The Simpsons," and more.

Future shows overseen by Mendelovitz could potentially make their way to Disney+, an Apple TV+ competitor, though much of the Fox content goes to Hulu, which is majority-owned by Disney.

Article Link: TV Exec Who Oversaw Apple TV+ Shows like 'Servant' and 'For All Mankind' Moves to 20th Century Fox

falainber

macrumors 68030
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Oh boy, this comment section will be totally reasonable and won’t be Full of knee-jerk reactions, I’m sure.
Yours definitely sounds like a knee-jerk reaction. Let's just stick to commenting the article.

On my part, I am not sure anyone really cares about this sort of personnel moves. MR would probably be fine without this sort of news (but , obviously, that's up to MR).

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Is this someone who's name came up before around here? I don't recall hearing her discussed when there were threads on the production of these shows?

GrumpyMom

macrumors G4
Sep 11, 2014
I have no idea she even existed, nor what exactly she did, or if I should miss her or not when I contemplate watching Apple TV shows in the future.

But hey, whatever, good luck to her.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ar40

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
A bit OT maybe, but odd that Disney chose to drop Fox from its movie studios but keep it for the TV studio.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I thought is was now called 20th Century Studios..... since, you know Fox got bought out by Disney???

bluecoast

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I don’t have a good feeling about Apple TV+.

I think it’s going to struggle to compete with the amount of streamers out there and as per this case, it’s going to struggle to hold onto talent & to attract creatives if they feel that their creativity is going to be restrained.

Also, this is very far from Apple’s comfort zone and requires very deep pockets. I feel that Apple didn’t quite know what it was getting into with this and it’s bit off more than it can chew.

I guess it’s a useful component in a Prime like service, but it seems like a lot of money to spend simply to attract people to buy iPhones.

The only other reason I can think is that Apple wants a studio to ensure that it pumps out 3D content for its AVR glasses.

But again, this seems like a lot of money to spend when surely it could’ve cut a deal with an existing studio to provide this sort of content.

So... ?‍♂️

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Side Note: 20th Century Fox was renamed to 20th Century Studios...
I thought is was now called 20th Century Studios..... since, you know Fox got bought out by Disney???
As mentioned by @Jeaz above, the name change was only on the movie side. 20th Century Fox is now 20th Century Studios, and Fox Searchlight Pictures became Searchlight Pictures.

On the TV side, 20th Century Fox Television and Fox 21 Television Studios haven’t been renamed (yet?).

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA

I think it’s going to struggle to compete with the amount of streamers out there and as per this case, it’s going to struggle to hold onto talent & to attract creatives if they feel that their creativity is going to be restrained.

Also, this is very far from Apple’s comfort zone and requires very deep pockets. I feel that Apple didn’t quite know what it was getting into with this and it’s bit off more than it can chew.

I guess it’s a useful component in a Prime like service, but it seems like a lot of money to spend simply to attract people to buy iPhones.

The only other reason I can think is that Apple wants a studio to ensure that it pumps out 3D content for its AVR glasses.

But again, this seems like a lot of money to spend when surely it could’ve cut a deal with an existing studio to provide this sort of content.

So... ?‍♂️
You may be right, particularly if Apple Remains doggedly determined to carry only original content. But are you actually skeptical about how deep pple’s pockets are?
Apple can't keep good talent. If apple doesn't invest in their employees why should I invest my time watching these shows.
Also, the sky is falling.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I'm sure they said the same about Sony when they bought Columbia Pictures Entertainment in 1989. 30+ years later, they still own it.

As mentioned by @Jeaz above, the name change was only on the movie side. 20th Century Fox is now 20th Century Studios, and Fox Searchlight Pictures became Searchlight Pictures.

On the TV side, 20th Century Fox Television and Fox 21 Television Studios haven’t been renamed (yet?).
They probably haven't changed the name of the TV studio because Fox Entertainment is their primary customer and the end credit works better for them.

• Love

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

There have been zero indications that Apple has done anything to restrain anyone’s creativity. In fact, all of the rumors about Apple making everything G-rated, etc., have proven to be absolutely and stunningly false.

• Love

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I agree with your whole post, but I think this is the most important part. Apple should figure out how best to offer a compelling monthly package with their various services- iCloud storage, music, news, tv, etc. Prime is very appealing because you get so much for one pretty reasonable yearly price (ditto Office365). The icing on the cake would be if Apple offered it free or heavily discounted (for 6 months? A year?) with the purchase of new hardware, like they currently do for the tv+ service.

Reactions: bluecoast

McDLT

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Yours definitely sounds like a knee-jerk reaction. Let's just stick to commenting the article.

On my part, I am not sure anyone really cares about this sort of personnel moves. MR would probably be fine without this sort of news (but , obviously, that's up to MR).

I doubt a depar
Apple can't keep good talent. If apple doesn't invest in their employees why should I invest my time watching these shows.

Television execs move around all the time. This really isn’t newsworthy nor is it an indication of any inability to retain talent. She is one of many executives working on those shows.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Apple can't keep good talent.

Well CBS can't either, since she left them for Sony, whom also can't keep good talent, since she subsequently left them for Apple. Soon enough we will be commenting on how Disney cannot keep good talent when she moves on to someone else.

• Love

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Is it some kind of macrumours ritual to write these kind of comment first in every damn article, showing everyone how "above it all" you are?
Actually the “ritual” is for the Apple-hate crowd to post Apple hate—early and often—to pile up likes from each other. Most outgrow this type of behavior, and by the time they get to high school they are indeed “above it all”, and have better things to do than troll Macrumors lol.

It’s become so ridiculously commonplace and laughably predictable that it’s simply expected, and no one is surprised when it happens yet again. Hence the “here we go again” type of comments, which are basically eyerolls at the Apple-hate crowd ?‍♂️

Last edited:
  • Love

bluecoast

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
My one big problem with Apple TV+ is that it’s adding nothing new and that it seems pointless and unnecessary.

The classic Apple product strategy is to innovate around a product segment that is popular and has huge capacity for growth, where Apple can bring its strengths in user experience and software and hardware integration - and where the current market leaders are providing a poor experience.

The iPhone is of course a master class in the above. The iPod also, the Mac and the Watch too - and to a lesser extent, AirPods.

However, no-one has ever been saying ‘Wow, streaming TV is really bad, there’s not enough of it and it’s mostly low quality.’

Apple TV thus has a ‘me too’ feel about it and it smacks of helping to answer the question of ‘iPhone is slowing let’s plug the revenue gap with services, what can we do?’.

Rather than answering the question: ‘What product category in computing is so poor that Apple can bring its unique strengths and significantly dominate this product category 2-3 years after entering it?’

Like I said above, it makes sense if it’s set up to support Apple Glasses (and these appear to coming later than Apple has planned for) - and you could argue that the Mac Pro in part is around to ensure that creators have a machine that can make this AVR content.

So maybe we’re missing an important part that justifies TV+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.