TV for monitor

wcbrownhound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
Middle Tennessee
:confused:I have a Macbook and when I hook it up to a 26 in. TV with the VGA cable (I bought the adapter) it will show the wallpaper, but not the dock, or the bar across the top of the computer. It also wont show the mouse movement. It works fine with the Toshiba PC. Is there something I need to do to the Mac. I am a little new to the Macs. Help. Thanks. :confused:

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Your computer is probably seeing it as a second monitor, which means that the menu bar and dock are still on your laptop. If you want them to be on the OTHER display, you need to go into the System Preferences -> displays, and drag the little menu-bar icon to the other display.

If you're currently mirroring, or you've already done that, and you still don't see the dock and menu bar, then that means your TV has overscan, kindof an outdated thing, IMHO. There are ways around this though, such as selecting "underscan" under the same preference.

Comment

wcbrownhound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Your computer is probably seeing it as a second monitor, which means that the menu bar and dock are still on your laptop. If you want them to be on the OTHER display, you need to go into the System Preferences -> displays, and drag the little menu-bar icon to the other display.

If you're currently mirroring, or you've already done that, and you still don't see the dock and menu bar, then that means your TV has overscan, kindof an outdated thing, IMHO. There are ways around this though, such as selecting "underscan" under the same preference.
My display does not have arangement on it .It only has display and color. The TV is a 26 in. Insignia I just bought at Best Buys. Thanks

Comment

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
My display does not have arangement on it .It only has display and color. The TV is a 26 in. Insignia I just bought at Best Buys. Thanks
No arrangement? ...weird. Have you tried rebooting with everything hooked up and on?

Comment