Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Hi,
I have a new 4th gen apple tv. I also have direct TV. Each is of course on a different input on my Vizio tv.

I have to keep using my TV remote to switch inputs when going from one source to the other.
Is there a better way to do this?
Is there a way to automate this?
Can the Apple Tv remote change the inputs somehow?

Thanks.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
mac... he's not swapping cables, he's changing inputs on the tv with the remote. no need to get a switch.

------
some TVs support HDMI-CEC, if the TV supports that then the aTV can cause it to switch to the correct input.
different manufacturers call it different things, but probably has "sync" or "net" in the name.
and how well it works also will differ from manufacturer to manufacturer

for instance, i can turn on my BluRay player, inset a disk and hit play. My receiver will power on to the correct input, and my TV will power on to the correct input.

http://www.imore.com/how-new-apple-tv-turns-your-tv-switches-inputs-and-controls-volume

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
Hi,
I have a new 4th gen apple tv. I also have direct TV. Each is of course on a different input on my Vizio tv.

I have to keep using my TV remote to switch inputs when going from one source to the other.
Is there a better way to do this?
Is there a way to automate this?
Can the Apple Tv remote change the inputs somehow?

Thanks.

Get a Harmony remote.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I turned on the hdmi vex on my tv, now the Apple TV remote turns on and off the tv and automatically changes the input

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.