TV Input Refuses To Switch AppleTV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Hooksta, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Hooksta macrumors member

I just upgraded my old Apple TV to the new one, but I am having one serious setup issue. Whenever I try to switch from HDMI Input 1 (DirecTV) to HDMI 2 (Apple TV) the input begins to switch and then just goes right back to HDMI 1. The only way around it so far is to Turn off the DirecTV box (which is a pain because that remote also turns off my TV at the same time) or unplug HDMI 1 so HDMI 2 is the ONLY option.

Has anyone else encountered this or figured out a work around.

I have a newer Samsung 4K TV, DirecTV, AppleTV, and a Samsung Soundbard. Everything worked perfectly with the older Apple TV model so I'm not sure what is going on.

Thanks!

2. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Some TVs are finicky with inputs. Try switching the HDMI inputs around.

3. Hooksta thread starter macrumors member

Disabling the HDMI-CEC function on my Samsung TV fixed the issue. It was strange. I could have both the Apple TV and DirecTV on, but if I tried to change the HDMI input from DirecTV to Apple TV it would just keep staying on DirecTV. I haven't had this issue on any other TV in the house or when I had the last generation Apple TV hooked up in exactly the same way on the Samsung. Very odd, but for now it is fixed.

4. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Got pretty much the same issue with my LG TV and it's definitely something to do with the ATV 4.

Issues I have:
    - ATV is listed as HDMI 1 and 3, 1 being the Simplink (HDMI CEC) connection and 3 being the actual connection. Selecting 1 starts my Sky TV ... Naturally because it is HDMI 1.. And 3 shows me a blank screen. So now I have to make sure Sky is off before starting ATV

- turning on the ATV has suddenly started turning on my BR and surround sound, so now I have to get up and turn that off each time

- occasionally pressing the menu button will also change my TV to another HDMI input

I guess I'll have to turn CEC off, which is really annoying because it's useful for every other input and cuts down on remotes!