TV is dying...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by danny_w, Apr 23, 2014.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I fear my Samsung 50" plasma tv is about to die after less than 5 years. There are several vertical colored shimmering bars on the right side of the screen and a bright green wide shimmering bar at the very right edge. I guess this could be the video card in the tv, but I guess there is really nothing to be done is there? I use it primarily for :apple:TV but also occasionally for live tv or dvd, and the lines appear on all inputs.

2. henders98 macrumors member

My Samsung plasma lasted about two years before I started getting the infamous purplish banding. Trying to get Samsung to do anything for me proved futile, so I bit the bullet and replaced it with a Panasonic plasma (fantastic TV by the way). After this experience, I will never buy a Samsung TV again.

3. El Jefe macrumors member

I have three Sammy LCDs and I wouldn't buy anything else. One is pushing 6-7 years.

4. henders98 macrumors member

Their LCDs are fine.. I have one that is about 6 years old. Their plasmas are complete junk.

5. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I have 2 Samsung's from 2007 that still work like new. Never had any problems with either. One is a 40" LCD, and the other is a 61" DLP (LED backlit)

It's the luck of the draw. You can have problems with any brand..

6. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks everybody for your inputs. Yes I know that you can have problems with any brand. guess I will be shopping for a new TV soon, probably a Panasonic plasma. I just really hate having to spend the money again so soon.

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

A friend of mine who is a videophile say's Panasonic makes the best plasma TV's. Just thought I'd tell you that. Personally, Plasma's have a flicker problem, at least to my eyes. Almost like an old CRT refreshing at 60HZ, but not as bad. Everything else about plasma's, except brightness and power consumption are superior to LCD's. BTW, I'm not the only one who sees the flickering issue. Ignore this if you don't see the flickering..

8. jdblas69 macrumors regular

9. Irishman macrumors 68030

You're not going to find a new Panasonic plasma, because they've stopped making them.

10. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Oh! I thougt you meant the concept of watching tv on a traditional dedicated tv set. :D

11. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

There’s still a decent number at various resellers, but they’re disappearing pretty quickly. I think quite a few folks are buying them up knowing they’ll be gone soon.

Huge bummer, our Panasonic plasma is outststanding, I’d buy another for sure.

12. Irishman macrumors 68030

The VT60 was a hell of a TV.

13. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

No doubt. I almost wanted to buy one and store it for future use :D

14. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I have 2 LCD TVs: a 32" Samsung 720p (5 y/o) and a 46" Sony Bravia 1080p LED/3D/240hz (4 y/o). Both work great and have no problems at all. The Sony gets major use and the image is still clean and sharp. I use AppleTV 99% of the time for both TVs and they work great.

I'm itching to upgrade to a 4K 55-65" TV since my Living Room is big with high ceilings, so it would fit nicely. I'll probably stick with Sony since most of the TVs I've owned were Sony and never had a problem. Also, my receiver and BD player are Sony and I like that they can "talk" to each other.

15. waw74 macrumors 68030

DLP is used in projection.

LED backlight is still an LCD panel.

16. Mr. McMac, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm very aware of the technology.

The 61" DLP Samsung I own uses LED's instead of a color wheel and high output light bulb which needs to be replaced every 2000 hours or so. see link below. And yes, it's backlit, although not the same as an LCD with uses either florescent (older models) or LED's

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HLT6187SAX-61-Inch-Engine-Version/dp/B000N53TDM

17. Irishman macrumors 68030

I was fortunate enough to be able to snag one of the last Pioneer PDPs, right after they announced they were getting out of the business. It was the PDP-51FD. Still going strong 5 years later!

18. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Do any of the Panasonic plasmas have analog audio outputs? I can't find any mention of it anywhere in the reviews, only an optical out. I have to use wireless headphones to hear clearly (hearing loss) and my headphones only have analog input; works find on my Samsung which has inputs and outputs galore. the Panasonic P50X60 seems to have very limited connectivity.

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You could use an optical to analog adaptor like this for your headphones.

20. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks! Now to come up with another AC outlet...

21. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Really sorry to hear about your TV. Sadly, plasmas are on their way out. I am glad my 2nd plasma is still going strong. My first one broke during a move. The Panasonic series of plasmas are quite amazing for what they are.

If you opt to get a plasma, just know that in a few years, repair/replacement might be a challenge (even with a good* extended warranty). I'll just hope my Panasonic VT50 lasts for at least another 3 years. My previous plasma was a Pioneer Kuro and I loved the way my blue rays looked on that plasma. The VT50 looks excellent and the newer models of Panasonic even better.

good luck on whatever you purchase(d).

22. brand macrumors 601

brand

That TV is still a rear projection TV.

23. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I know. My point is it's still LED illuminated instead of a lamp.

24. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I'm in the same boat. My 7 year-old 37" LG LCD is ghosting graphics worse every day, and has a faint dark patch on the left side. Despite the "short" life, I'm looking at another LG, the 42LB6300.

One thing I just don't get is that the smart TV's all have 3 or more HDMI inputs while the non-smart TV's have 2. I don't need a smart TV (I have an ATV and my Blu-Ray player can do the smart functions) but I do need 3 HDMI inputs.

The LG noted above is on my short list. I don't need 3D, don't need more than 42" (current 42" TV's fit in the same footprint as my current 37"), also looking at Vizio M422i-B1. All else considered, I'll probably order the LG as it has an IPS panel with better viewing angles and LG actually makes the panel while Vizio probably buys the panel from someone else.

25. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Getting another Samsung would definitely be the simplest solution. Everything would just plug right in, and I wouldn't even need to reprogram my Harmony remote. But I have been out of the TV market for a while and I really don't know what is the best budget solution anymore. 1080p would be nice but I really don't need anything more than 720p; the widest viewing angle possible (while not breaking the bank) is important, along with the deepest blacks (reasons for a plasma). Even refresh rate is not really important. I think my current TV cost around $800 new but I would like to spend less if possible.