TV/Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RHD, Aug 9, 2008.

1. RHD macrumors 6502

Want to get a monitor that is also a TV to plug into my MacBook pro as a bigger screen for day use and TV DVD watching at night.
    Really like the look of the Samsung 20" T200 HD Ready Widescreen LCD TV Monitor.
    Does anyone know of any reason why it wouldn't work with a MacBook Pro or Macs generally?
    So many things don't have Mac drivers I always feel it's worth checking but do you need them for a monitor?

Attached Files:

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Nope. It should work just fine. Just make sure to get a DVI cable. They are really cheap from Monoprice.

No need for drivers whether it's Windows or OS X. I've never had to use those discs that came with the monitor.

3. washer macrumors member

It works great. I just bought the 22" version last week and it actually comes with a VGA, DVI, and audio cable. I got a great deal at cost co. You can just plug and play running leopard, but you will need the driver disk if you run bootcamp.

My question, is there a way to make an application full screen (like DVD player) on the tv while the laptop screen is still open for web and email?

4. RHD thread starter macrumors 6502

Ooh!
    Good question.
    I figured it could be a TV or a monitor depending on how you plugged it up.
    Can it do both at once?

5. RHD thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, no speakers right?
    Have to either plug it into the stereo or buy speakers?

6. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

In VLC, just go to Video>Video Device and choose your your tv (seconday) display and go full screen.

In Quicktime (Pro), go to View>Present Movie and choose the display you want and and size and/or full screen mode.

In DVD Player, you can drag the DVD player window to the tv monitor and right-click in the window to bring up a menu. Hit "Enter Full Screen" and it should be full screen only on that monitor.

Now the problem with DVD player and Quicktime. The problem is that as soon as you go back to the laptop screen to use Safari or whatever, the DVD player window goes back to its original size. The biggest I can make it is if I hit "Fit to Screen". It takes up approximately 3/4ths of my 20" screen (Quicktime takes all of the screen space leaving me with just the top and bottom window bars). I wish I could put the apps in full screen and use my laptop screen for everything else, but I think this is is prevent people from taking screenshots or screen movie captures of DVDs.

Hope this helps.