TV most compatible with macbooks

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mojohojo, Mar 7, 2013.

1. mojohojo macrumors regular

Hi,
    im looking to get a new LED TV and am not sure what's a good brand.

I'm looking to connect my macbook (Air & Pro) often to the tv, as I find its the most convenient way to watch a range of file types using VLC, along with other features of a mac OS.
    But I've found that connecting my macbook to my current LCD TV and few others, the proportions are not exact, either theres black bands on the sides, or the screen is cut off (menubar can't be seen). I would like to know if anyone has recommendations on compatible TV's that can connect to macbooks (via dvi/hdmi) that has good proportion settings, and proper colour/brightness settings.

2. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

im the first person to direct someone to an existing thread on a topic but not one thats almost 5 years old, TVs have come a long way.

OP i know what you mean mine does not look great either, connected to HDMI or using AirPlay mirroring, my TV is about 6 years 720p low end, My friend just bought a new Samsung and a windows laptop with HDMI out, and his setup looks crystal clear and the screen is nice an full so I hope its just because TV standards even for low end models are better than 5-6 years ago.

I cant see it being a issue with "Mac" compatibility

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

It's not a "compatibility" issue. The issue is with resolutions that do not match (i.e. your macbook is probably 16:10 screen where a television is 16:9) and the reason you are seeing the screen cut off is due to overscan. Televisions actually cut down the image on the screen cutting off a few pixels all the way around. You need to research the above issues to understand how to circumvent the problems you are seeing (such as changing the resolution on your Macbook when outputting to your tv so that it matches the 16:9 of your tv and turning off overscan in the display settings in Mac OS).

5. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

My bad.....

for not checking throughfully the source I was using. But anyways, apart of mention a "Samsung television" can get the OP a good set of suggestions?

:):apple:

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

just a lower end Samsung 1080p model like in the $700 CDN range

7. mojohojo thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, thanks for tip. Just tried with my old TV, and adjusting the slider on my macbook for the 'Underscan' and seems like I'm able to shrink the screen to fit the TV.

But anyway, I'm still looking to get a new TV and just wanted some advice on which brands were better suited for laptop connections