TV on a Mac Pro...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TMR812, Sep 13, 2007.

1. TMR812 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Let me apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this...

I am a new Mac Pro owner (First time Mac user coming over from a lifetime of Windows). I have a Mac Pro 2.66 with 2 x 7300 GT and 5GB of Ram. On my previous Windows machine, I had a TV tuner card with Windows media center. I was able to watch and record TV from my cable. I would like to do the same on the Mac Pro.

I know there are products out there for this, but I thought I would check with some of the veterans, and see what's the best based on hands on experience.

So, I want to hookup regular cable TV (no digital box), and want to be able to watch live TV, and also record (DVR). I'd also like it to have a program guide to be able to know what's on, and setup to record an entire series.

I would appreciate any and all feedback/recommendations.

Thanks,

TMR

2. jerrah macrumors member

I have one of those tuners but I don't think they'll help the OP because he wants to use cable without a tuner box.

Try to find something that works with the Elgato software. :)

3. TMR812 thread starter macrumors newbie

Am I the only one...

I take it mac pro owners don't really do TV on the machines? Is there really no one with experience to help guide me on this?

Help please!!!

TMR

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

5. thxdave macrumors member

I feel your pain, TMR. I'm in the process of moving from Windows to Mac as well and I too have had tuner cards in my PCs for years (all ATI's) so I'm watching for an answer as well. The best thing I've seen so far is this:
    http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv250na&PHPSESSID=ec09024c58779c3583a1d07b1d652061
    which seems to cover all the bases but in an external tuner module. I'm not sure what is available as an internal plug-in card.
    dave

6. sanzu3 macrumors regular

sanzu3

i've got an Elgato Hybrid - its great - really great.

PS you can also record files in a format that will play in Apple TV (although i don't have an aptv yet so haven't tried that)

7. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Anything from Elgato and you can't go far wrong!

8. abmet macrumors newbie

Another vote for the Elgato Hybrid. Add a digital antenna, and you can record HD OTA for free.

9. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I would like to know the answer to this also (if you ever get one).

Back when I was a Windows guy, I also had a WinTV card in every computer I put together and I remember at the time (Mac OS-9 days), that they made one for Mac as well. Now when I go to their site, I see that like Elgato systems, they only make dongles for Macs now. Probably this is due to the small number of Macs that can take a PCI card?

Back in this same time period though, I remember that Kona made professional video capture cards for the Mac and had many models and better quality ratings than Huappauge. They *did* work (some of them at least) on the then emergent OS-X system, so there should be drivers at least for minimal operations like watching TV but I am not sure specifically whether they ever sold one with a tuner in it.

So it's *possible* you might find an old Kona card on eBay with a tuner in it, and it's *possible* that it might work on OS-X.

The cards are still made by AJA systems and while none listed seem to have tuners, they do allow for software control of connected equipment, so maybe one of those would work. They are super expensive however.

I realise these are all crappy options, but that's all I have been able to find out in my searches.

10. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

It does seem silly though, when you have a giant Mac Pro with empty slots to crawl around the back of the thing and attach a plastic dongle and an antenna to the *outside* of the box.

Just sayin. :)

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

did you not read all the replies before your post?