TV on iMac as Screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by InfernoUk, Sep 6, 2011.

1. InfernoUk macrumors 6502

Hey guys

I use a HMDI HD PVR Freeview Tv box currently, looking to swap out my 26" LCD for a 27" imac but want to be able to use it with the tv box.

Is this possible in anyway? as i need a tv still and was hoping to use the imac as a monitor for the freeview box.

Thanks for any help (also how are the speakers on the imac if im using it as a tv and can an xbox be used with one aswell)

Thanks !

2. Primus84 macrumors 6502

The 2011 iMacs do not support video in from anything other than a thunderbolt connection. This means only Macbook Pros, Macbook Airs, Mac Minis and other iMacs are capable of using the screen on the 2011 iMac as a monitor.

There are no adaptors currently that will get around this (that I am aware of).

3. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

o wow really? looks like im not going to buy one then !

4. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I would buy a refurbished 2010 model. You'll save yourself a good chunk of cash over the 2011 model, and the 2010's are quite capable machines.

You'll have to figure out a way to play the audio though, as the DVI input won't take the audio signal from your HDMI box. Most cable boxes can output the audio separately.

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Still using cable/satellite?
    Dump your subscription, increase you internet speed and save some $$$$.

Check here for some adapters:
    http://www.elgato.com/

6. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

I am in the UK, i like the box as it lets me record tv easily.

We have 100mb download internet which is the fastest commercially available in the country so any online stuff will work but it tends to look pixelated on such a hi res screen + cant record etc...

----------

not a fan of refurb or 2nd hand electronics id rather buy new dont really care about the cost, its more about the space it would require for a tv and an imac when i already have a desktop pc with dual screens taking up half the room...

Think the box has optical out which could work for audio

7. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

So are there no other solutions for this?

and how good are these network streaming tv things?

Thanks.

8. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

I'd second a vote for an elgato product. The other converter solutions (mind you, will only work with 2010 27" iMacs), are similarly priced. The elgato eyetv HD does not replace your current cable/satellite box, but rather functions as an add-on to it. Yes, you'll be limited to component quality video, however the other converter solutions (kanex XD, Belkin AV360, and the AT HD620) are limited to a 720p resolution maximum. And, as mentioned, these will not work on the thunderbolt iMacs (kanex is working on a solution). The elgato and other similar products, because they work through USB, will work with any iMac, given that it meets the requirements.

The biggest problem with elgato products comes from gaming; if you try, you'll find there's enough lag to make things difficult.

*I do realize the links I posted are U.S. links and that you're in the UK. They are also available on UK site, though.

9. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks im looking at an elgato hybrid so i can just use my ariel into my imac and record that way.

Im not bothered about HD quality aslong as it isnt bad quality.

I wanted to know with the elgato products, how does the record work? Do you watch one thing whilst recording another? or can you only recor what your watching (pointless if so) as with my current pvr box i cant record 3 channels and watch another...