TV out problems...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mercury6966, Sep 30, 2007.

1. mercury6966 macrumors newbie

So since the little video reguarding the new update is up on apple.com and only says use an apple AV cable i went got one yesterday so i can try it out (plus had $25 left on that $100 credit) they only had the IPod av cable. I even asked someone that works there before i bought it if it will work with my iphone they said "yea just plug it into your dock line out" so i bought it but it does not work:-( only audio comes through no video, any one esle having this issue? is it not the right cable? i always thought that line out was alway only for audio anyway? i did not know you could send video thru the "line out" jack. I even called apple cause i did not want to go back to the apple store, and they told me that the ipod av cable should work with it and to do a restore cause the sept update might not have installed correctly. I did Ibrick my phone but restored it back before I installed the software do you think that has anything to do with it not working?

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

it is not the right cable, you bought the composite cable for the ipod and you need the component cable for the iphone, and as far as i know it is not for sale yet or maybe it came out on friday but it has hd output which is the difference

3. mercury6966 thread starter macrumors newbie

thx i thought the cable did'nt look right but i guess thats what i get for listening to the apple store people. thx going to go return it now.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I believe that what you tried should work if yo uare using an iPod Universal Dock, which supports video, and not the iPhone dock.

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

so are u saying the iphone dock doesnt support video???

6. kramgam macrumors newbie

7. sanford macrumors 65816

2 - 3 weeks availability. Comes with cables and USB connector for powering off computer or included extra AC adapter. There will be compatible versions in both composite and component cable types; both are US$49. No the universal dock shouldn't work as they have completely changed the TV-out architecture. Not even the nanos, classics or touches will work with existing composite cable for video iPod, even though that extra band on the headphone connector on those models is not used for a microphone instead of video.

Apparently the new cables include an Apple authentication chip, meaning 3rd party solutions will require certification to get this, too. I doubt this is a "made-for-iPhone/iPod" licensing money-grab. I think it has more to do with placating movie content owners who are worried you can download a DRM iTunes movie, connect via composite from video iPod and pump straight into a DVD burner or whatever. Whether or not this will prevent said analog copying, I have no idea.

8. dmksaved macrumors newbie

I ordered the apple component av cable Thurs. the 27th when the update came out . the order said it will be 3 weeks before i get it like oct 24th . BUT . - it already shipped ! - and it came from china . so far the estimated time it will come is oct 3rd! - but that date has been changing - so far when it shipped it was oct 1st time arrival . then changed to oct 3rd . -- so far the shipment went fedex from china to hong kong . to alaska and has now departed to the next destination - sometime soon it will get to my house and i can enjoy tv out of my iphone. anyone else get the cable yet ? - it is not in apple stores as of sunday sept 30 as far is i know .

9. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I know its kinda cool to have but why bother transfering a video/movie from your computer to the iphone and then trying to watch it on your TV using your Iphone as a dvd player?
    Wouldnt the video be distorted or not look right since its made for a very small screen?
    Why not burn to a dvd and view it thru your DVD player?

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nah the quality is pretty good. I plugged my 3G nano into our 42" plasma via s-video (yes the new nano can do this with the old universal dock) and stuff encoded at the 640x whatever resolution looks great - not quite DVD but gee it's not far off. On my 68cm CRT TV they look identical to DVD and it's far more convenient to bung a whole bunch of movies on an iPod especially when you're traveling.

11. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Yeah I'm one to also not really see a need for this personally. So are you then accessing the component in jacks on capable tv's at hotels when traveling? I can see maybe taking home movies and connecting at a relative's house but don't see the real deal here with displaying iphone video on my widescreen when I probably have a better device to display this already. But if it's a great thing for some, that's cool, too.

12. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Interesting.
    Its a cool feature to show off to friends and family but going thru all the work to encode and shrink a DVD to Iphone size could take hours.
    And then have it a smaller resolution its probably not the best quality but its pretty cool to say my phone can also be used as a DVD player :D

13. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

It sounds like a lot of work, but it's not. I use iSquint which has a queue, and automatically adds the content to iTunes when it is done, so my total time to task on the desktop is about 30 seconds.

Also, regarding the cable, I was under the impression that it had both Component and Composite out. That would kind of suck if it didn't have composite. The only situations where this seems like it would be a feature that I would use would be in a hotel or something like that where I wanted to watch movies from my iPhone, and most hotels have TV's with composite in.

14. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The Universal Dock has a third connector on the line-out jack that transmit video when using the iPod Video Cable (MB128LL/A). However, it does not work with an iPhone or iPod Touch (and Nano 3G?) connected.

Apple has separate cables coming out for the iPhone and Touch for either composite (MB129LL/A) or component (MB128LL/A) output with the 30-pin connector. Those are the ones you will want.

15. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I'm thinking of getting an iPod Classic 80Gb, mainly for Music, but also chucking some movies on there as well. (to act as a temporary Apple TV - as I'm hoping there'll be an update soon)

We already have the universal-dock with S-Video out, so I was wondering what the quality was like - iLounge's first-look at the new component cable don't look too promising!