TV Out: What's the best solution?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Nermal, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hi,

I currently have a 4S, and frequently use the TV-out functionality. However, I'm planning to get a 5S and for the purposes of this discussion I'm assuming that the 5S will have the same Lightning output as the 5.

My TV has HDMI and component inputs, however my amp only has L/R analogue and Toslink. At present I'm using the 30-pin component cable with my 4S, but I've read that this cable is not compatible with the Lightning to 30-pin adapter and I can't find a Lightning component cable, only an HDMI one.

What's the best solution here? Is there a Lightning component cable that I simply haven't found? Or do I need some sort of "HDMI splitter" that can turn the sound into analogue or Toslink (if such a thing even exists)?

Help :)

Thanks!

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

There is a Lightning Digital AV Adapter which is what I'm using; basically you'll need an HDMI cable, then plug that to the adapter, with your phone attached and that should solve it. You can also charge when you're streaming to your tv.

I'm about to try Google's Chromecast, I've heard mixed results about streaming from Chrome (their browser) but Netflix and YouTube works fine they said.

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yep, found that already, and it'll get the picture to the TV, but I'm stuck with getting the sound to the amp (otherwise I have to use the tinny TV speakers!). Or am I missing something?

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

AFAIK I haven't seen yet something that would "split HDMI" to analogue or Toslink, only amp for now in your case unless someone would chip in about this.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Does your TV not have ARC? If it does then run HDMI to the TV and audio from the TV to the receiver. Note that many TV's with ARC are limited to 2 channel audio for ARC.

Alternately you could use Airplay with an AppleTV. The ATV has a separate audio output.

You can also use the headphone jack but that runs through the noisy headphone amp.

6. rjkgr macrumors regular

yes there is a lighting cable to use and dont wait for the iphone 5 but i am stoked for it haha

7. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not sure; I've never even heard of ARC before. I'll need to check and post back.

I have no idea what you just said :confused:

8. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, it doesn't seem to have ARC but it does have a "headphone" output. Presumably in a pinch I could run a cable from there to the amp. There are also L/R "audio" ports but it doesn't say whether that's in or out!