TV Shows and Handbrake/MTR

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by One Love 1867, Jun 1, 2009.

1. One Love 1867 macrumors regular

Hello all,

Just got my first Mac Mini and installed Plex! Couldn't be happier. The Mini is a great little system and Plex is the absolute nuts. I'm currently going through the rather lenghty process of backing up all my DVD's at the moment (Handbrake should be converting at home as i type this from work!) but have got a couple of questions regarding backing up TV shows..

How do you do it? Currently with my DVD movies it's a pretty simple process of opening Mac The Ripper, choosing the "Extract title only" (or whatever it's called..) option and simply ripping the movie itself, before converting this in Handbrake on Apple TV settings to use in Plex. However, with regards to ripping individual episodes from a TV show DVD i'm a little bit more confused. How do you rip individual shows? I've tried searching but not really come across any definite solutions. Is there a step by step guide available that details exactly how to go about ripping individual episodes from a disk?

Thanks for any help,

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

For TV shows, rip the entire DVD. Then play the VIDEO_TS folder or the DVD in VLC or DVD Player.app and see which titles correspond to which episodes. For some TV show discs everything will be nice and tidy an in order, but for some they will skip all over the place.

Then, in Handbrake, select the source VIDEO_TS folder and then select the title you want. Give it a file name and add to the queue. Then select the title for the next episode and repeat.

It's a good idea to use the decomb filter with TV shows (all the time, actually), because many of them are interlaced.

3. Tom Creo macrumors newbie

I just got done ripping 3 seasons of The Shield (my first time doing a tv season). I skipped MTR and just used handbrake to do the ripping and encoding since each disk usually had 4 episodes each, making it easy to que up in HB. It was a bit longer but much easier, for me, to select episodes and name them properly.

4. One Love 1867 thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers guys,

Another question though.. I've just tried to encode my copies of Star Wars Episodes V and VI on Handbrake, but i've just tried to play them on Plex and they've got the audio commentaries on. The original VIDEO_TS rips don't have the audio commentary, so somewhere on Handbrake it's decided to encode the video with video commentary.. which i don't want.

I've just opened VLC and checked the audio tab, and track 3 seems to be the commentary track. I'm wanting to encode the VIDEO_TS file so i can play the film (minus commentary) in Plex with 5.1 surround sound (which i know the DVD supports)..

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

In Handbrake, go to the Audio tab and select the track you want. Make sure you pick the same one for the AAC mixdown and AC3.

6. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

7. spice weasel macrumors 65816

You do realize that choosing fast de-interlace throws out half the frames. Use slow instead. Better yet, use the decomb filter, which only turns on de-interlacing when it detects interlaced frames.

8. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Thanks for the tip; I updated the clip