TV Shows and Movies for iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by zainjetha, Aug 11, 2007.

1. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Hi

I have a huge collection of Series on DVDs.. i have finally managed to figure how to rip these DVDS into individual episodes (each one being a separate file).However, I want to have a collection that will play on iPod, my MacBook Pro and my AppleTV which i'm getting soon. I don't want to have three copies of my DVD library, one to fit the resolution of iPod, on for the Pro, and one for AppleTV. I simply want to have one copy which will automaticaly adjust resolution wherever it's played.. How should I go about doing this?

Would be grateful for any assistance.

Much appreciated.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Assuming you have the latest iPod, the highest resolution it can play is 640x480. Looks like that's your best option.

3. zainjetha thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have the latest ipod but will the files optimised for iPod look good on AppleTV or MacBook Pro, or will i have to make separate files for their resolutions?

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Depends on what you call 'good'. If DVD quality on a high-def display looks average, you won't like 640x480. The only way to know is to try it yourself.

If you haven't got them already, have a look at iSquint and HandBrake for your ripping apps. I can get a 2 hour movie down to about 700MB with a HandBrake/iSquint combo, and it still looks decent on a 640 pixel wide TV. You can tell it's not a DVD. I haven't tried playing it on a widescreen TV yet, so I can't tell you how it looks there.

5. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

I've been trying to figure that out for a very long time. How do you do it? I also have a large DVD tv show collectio and want them to go onto my ipod. I am only ever able to download the first episode on the disk.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

INCORRECT!!!!!

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Correct ;)