iPod TV Shows - Better Quality! Now I'm Mad!

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
754
15
Traveling The World
I'm so MAD at Apple!

Yes, like thousands (if not millions) of people within the last two hours have been messing around with the new and improved iTunes 7, and it's Amazing!

But I decided to see if anything in the TV Shows section had any updates, i doubted this as the main new feature was Movies.
Anyway, i decided to "see a preview" of Lost (just a random show to view) and the Preview was HUGE!

And what was i doing all day yesterday? Downloading 24 Season 5! What size is it when i play it? SMALL! What size is it today? LARGE!

It's so unfair that Apple can do this! Sell something one day and the next have the same product, same price, but slightly better and do nothing about it.

Whatever we've downloaded in the past, should be updated to the new and improved version, for FREE by APPLE.
Anyone Agree?
 

gauriemma

macrumors member
May 4, 2004
90
0
HelixOmnimedia said:
I'm so MAD at Apple!

Yes, like thousands (if not millions) of people within the last two hours have been messing around with the new and improved iTunes 7, and it's Amazing!

But I decided to see if anything in the TV Shows section had any updates, i doubted this as the main new feature was Movies.
Anyway, i decided to "see a preview" of Lost (just a random show to view) and the Preview was HUGE!

And what was i doing all day yesterday? Downloading 24 Season 5! What size is it when i play it? SMALL! What size is it today? LARGE!

It's so unfair that Apple can do this! Sell something one day and the next have the same product, same price, but slightly better and do nothing about it.

Whatever we've downloaded in the past, should be updated to the new and improved version, for FREE by APPLE.
Anyone Agree?

Yeah! And while they're at it, I bought a dual processor G4 tower four years ago. Now I see that they've got these fancy new "2.66 GHz dual core" whosits that RUN WAY FASTER than my machine and COST LESS. That is SO UNFAIR! I want an upgrade! Who can I talk to about this?
 

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
4,352
1
No, not really. Did the studio replace all your cassettes with CDs or VHS tapes with DVDs when then came out? You can try emailing them about a recent purchase, like 24 yesterday, they may be willing to help you out with that... otherwise there's not a whole lot of sympathy for you on my end.

Why didn't I buy any iTMS TV shows? Crap quality. I might now, though... we'll see, but I wouldn't have even considered it last night, even if I had no idea updates were coming...
 

Verschoren

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2005
176
0
Antwerp, Belgium
ifyou buy a dvd today, and sony releases a blueray version of it tomorrow..

are you going to complain also?

It's called progression..

Just be happy they didn't raise the price
 

anamznazn

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
211
0
Philadelphia, PA
gauriemma said:
Yeah! And while they're at it, I bought a dual processor G4 tower four years ago. Now I see that they've got these fancy new "2.66 GHz dual core" whosits that RUN WAY FASTER than my machine and COST LESS. That is SO UNFAIR! I want an upgrade! Who can I talk to about this?
haha! that made my day. :D
 

MoparShaha

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2003
1,630
21
San Francisco
gauriemma said:
Yeah! And while they're at it, I bought a dual processor G4 tower four years ago. Now I see that they've got these fancy new "2.66 GHz dual core" whosits that RUN WAY FASTER than my machine and COST LESS. That is SO UNFAIR! I want an upgrade! Who can I talk to about this?
The difference here is that no physical product is being bought or sold, and to give old customers the new, higher quality videos, again, nothing is changing hands. The only thing it would cost Apple is bandwidth.

We have the license for the TV shows we've downloaded, that license should be transferable (fair-use).

Anyways, I don't expect Apple to make the new, larger files available to past customers, but I do sympathize with the OP. He's not asking for a new Power Mac, only the TV shows he's spent his money on in their original resolution.
 

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
3,038
30
Salt Lake City, UT
I agree, but I don't think it's going to happen. In your case, I think you should call iTunes Support and ask them about it. Since it was just yesterday, they very well may let you redownload the higher resolution versions today.
 

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
767
0
I do sympathize with the OP, but...

Yesterday, when you downloaded, you made an informed purchasing decision about what you were buying, and paid a price for a product. Yesterday, it was a fair deal.

Today when you went to download, Apple decided to "bless" you with higher quality at no extra charge. If anything, you're getting more than you paid for.

Nonetheless, I think that it would be a good idea to allow customers to exchange "old" downloads for higher quality new downloads for a price (for bandwidth/transaction costs).
 

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
11,836
7
Consdering you're in Scotland, I'm somewhat surprised you can buy TV shows off iTMS at all. Unless of course you are an American abroad.
 

Euge

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2006
171
61
MoparShaha said:
The difference here is that no physical product is being bought or sold, and to give old customers the new, higher quality videos, again, nothing is changing hands. The only thing it would cost Apple is bandwidth.

We have the license for the TV shows we've downloaded, that license should be transferable (fair-use).

Anyways, I don't expect Apple to make the new, larger files available to past customers, but I do sympathize with the OP. He's not asking for a new Power Mac, only the TV shows he's spent his money on in their original resolution.
"The only thing it would cost Apple is bandwith" -- so a few hundred megabytes times a few hundred thousand downloads . . . that's not a trivial cost. And what about server maintenance?

Even though there is no physical exchange of goods, digital assets still have their associated costs.
 

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
754
15
Traveling The World
Yesterday, when you downloaded, you made an informed purchasing decision about what you were buying, and paid a price for a product. Yesterday, it was a fair deal.

Today when you went to download, Apple decided to "bless" you with higher quality at no extra charge. If anything, you're getting more than you paid for.
That's basically what Apple told me over the phone, apartenly they had "no idea" that these updates were happening, they had heard rumors but nothing was confirmed until the onlines stores went down - and they were all informed them. (now i know what they do during that time - they must get their own speech/presentation by their boss).

Oh well, nothing i can do. Just makes me hesitant about buying anything from iTunes in the future.

dynamicv said:
Consdering you're in Scotland, I'm somewhat surprised you can buy TV shows off iTMS at all. Unless of course you are an American abroad.
Not an American abroad, born raised and living in Scotland. Managed to setup and US iTunes Account when i was staying with relatives a few months back. They're my contacts for paying, by sending me Gift Vouchers.:D