TV Shows completely out of order since recent update

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by zedsdead, Nov 25, 2010.

1. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Since the recent update, all my TV Shows are randomly listed (not just season number, but the names as well). There is no rhyme or reason to it.

In a relatives house, the recent update worked fine and now lists the TV show and seasons in their proper orders (still no folder though:mad:).

I did a factory restore but that did not solve the issue. Does anyone know what is wrong here? Anyone having a similar problem?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

if they are shows you tagged yourself, i know the iphone recently started looking at different tags for things

make sure
    track number = episode number
    album = season
    artist = show name

3. newagemac macrumors 68020

I've noticed the other two but are you sure the album has to be the season? If not, how are things affected?

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

Looking at it again. I'm not sure album number is important, but the other 2 definatly are.

Not at home now, but look at a show purchased from iTunes to see what all they want. You can check for free shows too, they should be tagged correctly.

5. svNautilus301 macrumors newbie

All my shows are meticulously tagged, down to the last detail, and I still have this issue. Even shows purchased in itunes itself have the issue.

6. newagemac macrumors 68020

So you have the track number the same as the episode number and the show name the same as the artist field and your shows are listed randomly? If so you are the only one it seems. I've seen other threads about this and everyone reports setting their tags this way makes it work like before the update again.

7. zedsdead thread starter macrumors 68040

I have a mix of purchased and ripped content, and most of the ripped stuff is correct, yet everything on the Apple TV is completely out of order.

8. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

That's odd. A lot of my ripped stuff - which was meticulously tagged with MetaX and iTunes - was out of order on the new ATV. The update fixed it and all of my seasons and shows now appear in order.

Wish I could help, but if people are saying the shows are all tagged properly, then I don't know what it could be. Maybe clear everything from the sort fields? Highlight all the shows, select "Get Info", then go to the sort fields and clear them all out, then hit "OK". You will lose any custom sorting you may have applied.

9. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have the ATV2 and even after the update, the shows seem in order. All my TV shows are ripped and tagged by iflicks initially and then edited by me (to change artwork from rectangular to square and add a few small things). If I recall correctly the album should be the series name not the season. I might be wrong on that one.

One thing that might be casuing your issue is this: I noticed that iflicks instead of calling a series "The big bang theory" called it "big bang theory" in the sorting section of the show. And that show moved from "T" to "B". Go to your "get info" of a season, go to the sorting area. The last row (I can't rememebr what its called exactly, but it should be the title of your series (not season) and should be equivalent to the field on the left of it. That seemed to organize that show properly.

So on my ATV2 when I click the "TV Shows" tab, I see my seasons (not series) ordered by season properly. I don't know if thats proper but I'm ok with it. Did the old ATV drop series (display a general artwork) then have you click it again to display the series? If so, Itunes doesnt make you do that, why would the original ATV do that?

For the most part here is how I organize my library:

I click the season of a show, get info, tab the info section:

1) I dont remember the field names but the first two fields are the show name (ie. The big bang theory)
    the third field is The big bang theory, Season #.

2) The same pattern in the video section of the get info

Thanks
    AE

10. zedsdead thread starter macrumors 68040

The "THE" issue is annoying, but that is not my concern. EVERYTHING is completely randomized. There is no order to the shows at all. I can have Simpsons Season 9, then Office Season 4, then Big Bang Season 1, then Simpsons Season 6, then 24 Season 4, etc....everything is out of order. I have the shows tagged properly.

11. newagemac macrumors 68020

I hate to sound harsh but you simply do not have everything properly tagged. Let's take your two Simpson's seasons you referred to for example. Under Info, what exactly do you have listed for Name, Artist, and Album? Then under Video, what do you have listed for Show? Post exactly what you have for both seasons.

12. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

I agree with this poster!!!

Thanks
    AE

13. ShiftClick, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

Try doing a restore.

I was having weird sort issues and movies not showing up at all, I did a restore and it fixed it all. Good Luck

Sorry missed that line in your OP. never mind :)

14. ddub60 macrumors newbie

Do you see a list of episodes from all the different series, rather than a list of show series (i.e., Friends, Glee, ... X-Files)?

If so, the issue is not the tagging of the files, it is an option setting on you "My TV Shows" screen - go up to the very top (above the episode list) and change the order to series or show (sorry to be vague - I'm answering from memory)

15. Garsun macrumors regular

Garsun

Perhaps old iTunes version

After I updated my atv2 mine were out of order as well. However they are now nicely alphabetized. The only change I know I did was updating iTunes to the current version 10.1 (54)

16. zedsdead thread starter macrumors 68040

Oddly enough, I just went to take a picture of the problem, and prove that I KNOW HOW TO TAG!!!;)

For whatever reason, the Apple TV is showing everything in the right order. Not sure why that happened. I haven't even restarted anything. VERY strange indeed:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks for the help, but I still am perplexed. I am a veteran Apple TV owner (since Day I) and I can't explain this. Oh well. Thanks again.